2008 MacBook Pro A1260 won't start-up 9/10 times

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sepultura, Aug 2, 2016.

1. Sepultura macrumors regular

Got a MacBook Pro A1260 that won't start up 9/10 times. When attempting to turn it on, the white sleep button is blinking, optical drive makes noise, sleep button turns off, pause, turns on, then off again. No start up chime sound unless it SUCCESSFULLY turns on. The computer's battery is dead FYI. The charger is original 85w magsafe.

I reset:
    SMC
    PRAM
    Re-seated the memory (more info below)
    Removed all memory - Let it beep 10 times - with a pause in between each beep. Signals firmware chip is OK.
    Took off the keyboard and cleaned the computer with my compressor
    Checked internal connections

The first time I reset SMC, I was able to boot on the first try. The computer was fine when at the desktop, though it's warm to the touch. The memory in system profiler checks out as OK. I verified the Hard drive is good, etc.

If I attempt to restart the computer, 9/10 times it will not restart; It just shuts off.

Memory 4GB STOCK:

Took out 1st memory module from SLOT 1 and it booted. Did not successfully restart. It did boot up via power button after shutdown. Second attempt to restart from desktop was unsuccessful.

Put 2nd memory module from SLOT 2 INTO SLOT 1. Did not boot. Chimed on second press, got to regular Mac blue screen, then it went black.

*Removed 2nd memory module*

Put 1st memory module into SLOT 2 - successful boot. Did not successfully restart. Did not boot on first power press after shutdown. Did not boot on second power press. Did not boot on third power press.

Put 1st memory module back into SLOT 1 - successful boot. Successful restart #1. Successful restart #2. Successful restart #3.

Put 1st memory module back into SLOT 2. 4 power button presses NO BOOT.

Put 1st memory module back into SLOT 1. 4 power button presses NO BOOT.
    -

My guess here is the logic board is failing - a common problem with this model.

The computer is currently ON with 1 stick of memory in. I had it running yesterday with both sticks in. Once I attempted to restart it, it would not boot again.

Buying a new logic board for this machine is not worth the money. I am probably going to reflow the GPU.

Any other suggestions?

2. Willo34 macrumors regular

Willo34

3. Sepultura thread starter macrumors regular

Hi Willo and thanks for your response. Got a lot of thread views but no responses; Thought the thread might fall off the first page...

It's not worth replacing the board or battery. One could buy a more powerful, brand new laptop for that price.

I ran Memtest for 14 hours and 12 passes just to confirm the memory is OK. I also took out the battery, reset SMC, and attempted to boot. It booted, but failed to restart, and then failed to power up again after multiple presses.

I am almost certain it is the logic board, since this is very common with this model and A1226. If it was the battery causing problems, the Mac should be able to power on, restart, and function without a battery inserted after SMC reset. I think I have ruled out everything, but if anyone else has an idea...

4. Willo34 macrumors regular

Willo34

Think you are prob right. Sounds like time for a new device. Good luck either way

5. Sepultura thread starter macrumors regular

I reflowed the board and it solved the problem, but how long it will last, no one knows... This is a problematic model and I warned the customer, but they were satisfied with the result.