Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phundercover

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2012
I have an early 2008 model still with its original battery.

Model Information:
Manufacturer: SMP
Device Name: ASMB012
Pack Lot Code: 2
PCB Lot Code: 0
Firmware Version: 110
Hardware Revision: 500
Cell Revision: 200
Charge Information:
Charge Remaining (mAh): 375
Fully Charged: Yes
Charging: No
Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 375
Health Information:
Cycle Count: 832
Condition: Replace Now
Battery Installed: Yes
Amperage (mA): 146
Voltage (mV): 12599

but it's now in need of replacement. I am struggling to find one either at Apple or online retailers. Does anyone have a recommendation of what would be a suitable make/model?

Thanks.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I have an early 2008 model still with its original battery.

but it's now in need of replacement. I am struggling to find one either at Apple or online retailers. Does anyone have a recommendation of what would be a suitable make/model?
I wouldn't trust or recommend any non-Apple battery, due to the number of problems reported with "knockoff" batteries. Also, there is no assurance that knockoff batteries have the same charging technology that Apple uses, involving the battery, the MagSafe adapter and the Mac's logic board.
The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

Yell0w

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2008
So I guess we should buy the battery from Apple website if we want one to work with no issues. Mine has 433 cycles on it and last about 30 minutes.

Nov 28, 2010
located
So I guess we should buy the battery from Apple website if we want one to work with no issues. Mine has 433 cycles on it and last about 30 minutes.

Yes. It is not advised to use third party batteries or power adapters except from REPUTABLE sources, which have extensive experience in producing Apple products.

Apple recently recalled third party iPhone rechargers people bought ignorantly and is replacing them with their own power adapters due to the third party product being quite a bit unstable.

Yell0w

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2008
Yes. It is not advised to use third party batteries or power adapters except from REPUTABLE sources, which have extensive experience in producing Apple products.

Apple recently recalled third party iPhone rechargers people bought ignorantly and is replacing them with their own power adapters due to the third party product being quite a bit unstable.

But here's the problem I face. Should I really spend 100+ for replacement battery or should I invest that amount into a new laptop. It has been 5 years+ since 2008..

Nov 28, 2010
located
But here's the problem I face. Should I really spend 100+ for replacement battery or should I invest that amount into a new laptop. It has been 5 years+ since 2008..

It depends if your Mac can still satisfy your computational needs for another year or two, or if you can and want to spend money on a new notebook.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008

How much can you afford? That's 5 or 10 percent of the cost of a new computer depending on what you're getting.

Yell0w

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2008
It depends if your Mac can still satisfy your computational needs for another year or two, or if you can and want to spend money on a new notebook.

That's a tough decision. I upgraded to a SSD so it's a bit faster now. Haswell MBP may come out soon too.

Yell0w

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2008
How much can you afford? That's 5 or 10 percent of the cost of a new computer depending on what you're getting.

Well I have money saved up from working during the summer. I just don't want to spend the same amount on a base 15" MBP model like I did back in 2008. Since I kinda feel like I'm just using it for basic tasks. Web browsing, video streaming, downloading, syncing iTunes and iPod touch. I don't think I have ever used it to play games frequently except for when I installed Starcraft 2, when it was a few months after it's release, to test how it would run on my notebook.

I would definitely get the Retina MBP cause I like the lightness and how slim it is, which I assume the CMBP is not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.