2008 MacBook Pro Main Machine, and upgrade options

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacAndrew07, Jun 1, 2013.

1. MacAndrew07 macrumors member

Good afternoon everyone, (I think) well here's the thing, I'm about to buy a Early 2008 MacBook Pro (not the unibody) on eBay, to repleace my 2006 Mac Mini that has a Intel Core Duo, there for I cannot upgrade to Lion/ML. While the 2008 MPB can. I'll be using it mainly as my main machine, where I run Photoshop, FCP, Maya. Does anyone still uses a 2008 MacBook Pro, if so how's the performance, I'm thinking on upgrading it with an SSD and 6 GB of RAM.

The reason I'm buying a used MacBook Pro is because right now I cannot afford a new Mac, and I really need a new one for college. Any tips?

Thanks ;)

2. agaskew macrumors 6502

I'm not over familiar with that exact model but FWIW I'd say go directly to ML (clean install), max out the RAM (will it support 4 or 8?) and definitely go for the SSD. I think you'll be surprised how fast it goes.

3. AlexMaximus macrumors 6502

AlexMaximus

One Thing about the 2008....

I would be very carefull with that model. The 2008 MBP model has extensive Problems with the Video card nvidia 8600. Go for a 2009 model! Especialy now, since they are 4 years old, gpu chips are craping out now.

Dont buy the 2008!

4. MacAndrew07, Jun 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2013

MacAndrew07 thread starter macrumors member

This one has the ATI Radeon X1600 ;). Unfortunately a cannot afford a 2009 MBP, the 2008 seams like a good deal

*EDIT

Sorry for my ignorance, but if I buy AppleCare would Apple fix my laptop even if its refurbished?. I never bought AppleCare before

5. AlexMaximus macrumors 6502

AlexMaximus

just saved you money or trouble..

Well, if your machine has a x1600 gpu, the owner wants to sell you a 2006 model for an 08'. Be very careful. Do not pay a 2008 price tag for a 2006 machine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacBook_Pro

As you can see in the overview, the early 2006 model does not even have a Core2Duo CPU. Make sure it is at least the "Late 2006" model with the highest CPU possible.
    Other then that, my experience with several Apple computer have been so great, I think I would recommend almost every model. Just one think, make sure you add an SSD drive to the package.

:apple:

6. MacAndrew07 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, but this is the early 2008 with the ATI X1600, I was looking at ML system req. and ML is a NO GO, only Lion :-(, but I will probably put Snow Leopard on it, btw how long do you think Apple is going to support Snow Leo?

7. Idefix macrumors 6502

I have an early 2008 MBP and Apple only made it with the NVIDIA 8600M. There is NO early 2008 MBP with the specs that you describe--none, nada!

Please download MacTracker, which is free software with all the specs of all Mac models. Do this before posting any more rebuttals.

And I'll repeat the earlier recommendation: do NOT buy any MBP with the 8600M graphics card. This includes the 2007 models.

the specs you are describing are for the late 2006 model, as previously stated by others (whose help you boorishly discounted.)

8. MacAndrew07 thread starter macrumors member

Yep your right, well thanks you for your answers :)