2008 MacBook Pro No Display

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rockitawkwardly, Mar 7, 2011.

1. rockitawkwardly macrumors newbie

Well, I guess my 2008 MacBook Pro (previous gen) has hit the dust. I was using it on Skype last night, closed the lid to take it back home, and when I opened it up back home I got no display. :( Obviously the MacBook is out of warranty, so I'm trying to weigh my options here. The nearest Apple store is over three hours away for me, so ...

I have shutdown via holding the power button multiple times and booted back up with no display. It does turn on, however it seems to be stuck in 'sleep mode'. The white ambient light, located on the latch release button, stays 1/2 lit while the lid is open, then full brightness when the lid is closed; no 'pulsing'. I pressed some of the keys to see if it would 'wake back up' but nothing I did changed it's state.

What do you fine people think? :)

THANKS! :apple:

2. Relznuk macrumors 6502

Relznuk

You could always contact Apple and get a mail-in repair done. Alternately, it's possible that you have an Apple Authorized Service Provider nearby. Many universities have an AASP on board.

3. MacTower macrumors member

4. rockitawkwardly thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I found an AASP an hour away, which I guess isn't out of the question. Anyone know if it ends up being either a) graphics card or b) logic board if my data is gone? I just have some stuff on it from work, which of course I let a friend borrow my TimeMachine, so it hasn't been backed up in a couple of weeks. What timing!

Looked it up and indeed MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2008). Do they still do a free repair for this problem or have I missed the window? Do the AASP do this also (as a free repair if still happening)? Thanks everyone! :)

5. MacTower macrumors member

I had mine done two weeks ago at an AASP. Some don't know about it, so I suggest printing that kb article and showing it to them in case they haven't heard of it.

The problem is so common, however, that the particular AASP I went to had 5 2007-2008 MBP's on the shelf for the 8600 problem.