2008 MacBook Pro Predecessor

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by radioman10, Feb 16, 2012.

1. radioman10 macrumors member

I am so ready for the new MacBook Pros to be released, although with today's Mountain Lion news and Intel announcement that Ivy Bridge has been delayed, I feel like Apple may not release new MacBook Pros until WWDC this June. That also *seems* to fall in line with the MacRumors buyer's guide.

I will say this on behalf of the current MacBook Pros, my late '08 unibody MacBook (the predecessor of the 13-inch MacBook) (2.0 GHz, 4 GB RAM upgrade) is running like new with OS X Lion. I'm amazed that it still runs so well. I read on another Mac blog that apparently Apple will be dropping support for Mountain Lion for my MacBook.

Is anyone else in my boat waiting for the new MacBook Pros to upgrade?

I would LOVE to see a higher resolution display along with a redesign.

2. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

There is a discrepancy in the article. It specifically mentions Macbook models with GMA 950 or GMA x3100 GPUs as being incompatible. Then the article mentions Core2Duos (which clearly contradicts any mention of GMA GPUs).

I am 99% sure that whoever wrote the article didn't phrase it correctly, as Core2Duo's are NOT excluded from 10.8. The restrictions are based on GPU chipset (meaning SOME C2D Macs will be excluded). Apple WILL NOT release an OS that can't run on machines sold in 2011 (13" Macbook Pro sold at beginning of 2011 still had C2D).

Your machine, which has an NVidia 8600GT will be compatible.

3. radioman10 thread starter macrumors member

Well that's great news. Thanks for passing this information along. I'm sure someone else will be happy to hear this!