2008(?) MacBook Pro Questions (Looking to buy a used one)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by testudoaubreii, Jul 20, 2014.

1. testudoaubreii macrumors member

Hello.

I am getting ready to pull the trigger on what appears to be a Late 2008 15" MacBook Pro 3,1. It has 2.6 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, Memory 4 GB RAM and is sporting OS X 10.8. I will be primarily using this for GarageBand. I will be the only one using it, so I will have a few live tracks, i.e. guitar, bass and vocals (by live I mean recorded live, but recorded over...if that makes sense), and probably will be using many loop tracks, as well. I will sometimes use Photoshop, Illustrator and Dreamweaver to web development stuff, as well.

It appears to be in really great condition. So, I guess my questions are: Do you all think this MacBook Pro is worth the $250 she is asking for it? With this specs provided, do you think it is powerful enough to do what I listed above fast, efficiently and without any serious lag? And, will I be able to upgrade to Mavericks with this? I assume that I would be able to because it is already at 10.8, but I thought I would ask, anyway.

Thank you in advance for any and all help, advice and suggestions.

Testudo

2. MTL18 macrumors regular

I have a 2008 MacBook that I am typing this on.

The computer will work, you will just need patience. It is a little slower, and does lag when you ask it to do to much (it also gets very hot as the graphics card gets pushed). Battery life won't be that great, but if your computer budget is $250, there will always be some sacrifices.

I have not upgraded past Mountain Lion. My concern is more related to old software than the OS being non-compliant. The 2008 computers can be upgraded, and since it has 4GB of RAM, you should be fine.