2008 MacBook Pro Sleep Issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dimme, Oct 12, 2013.

1. dimme macrumors 65816

I have been chasing this problem for a month now and still no luck.
    I have a 2008 MacBook Pro Santa Rosa running the latest version of Mountain Lion. The computer sits on a desk all the time on and pluged in. I access it throughout the day here and there. The issue is half the time when it goes to sleep, whether I close the lid, select sleep from the apple menu or just let it be and let it sleep in energy saver mode. The fan will race and the computer will not wake up. I need to hold down the power button to get the computer to restart.
    I have tried resetting the pram, SMC and I completely wiped the hard drive and reinstalled the OS and programs. Nothing new as been added in months and I had this problem for about 6 weeks now. Before that it as perfect.
    Please any help or suggestions are welcome.
    Thanks

2. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

I have a similar issue with my mid-2009 MBP. Is yours a unibody or a "pre-unibody"? I've been dealing with this issue for two years and haven't gotten anything from Apple or authorized service providers except for replacement hard drives and SATA cables because I hard restart so often that the SATA cable burns out.

This seems to be a rare but extemely irritating issue with the unibody MacBook Pros, and Apple doesn't seem to have an answer even though it's been happening for years. Good luck!

3. dimme thread starter macrumors 65816

4. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Huh. Then it must not be a design flaw in the unibodies as I originally thought. Even so, that means this issue goes back much further than I even thought.

I'd ask about your OS, but there's another post about this happening on a 2012 (I think), so it's not isolated to older versions of OS X. I guess that also means that it's not older hardware either unless there's some part they've been using for at least 5 years if not longer.

I've asked if the mods could merge some threads on this issue so we can hopefully bring this issue to light.