2008 MacBook Pro, some issues (upgraded drive)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rickeames, Nov 3, 2008.

1. rickeames macrumors regular

Well, I'm on my second 2008 MBP so far. The first one had a stripped screw when I went to replace the drive. They couldn't fix it, so they gave me a new one. Go figure.

So this one...

Well, I replaced the 5400RPM drive with a Scorpio Black 7200 drive. Now I'm regretting it, or wondering what's wrong because I can hear it -- it's quite loud. Sounds like a fan blowing constantly unless I put my palm on the rest. As soon as I take the palm off, I get the vibration noise. I checked and it's correctly seated, so I'm wondering if other people experienced the same thing when they upgraded their drive.

I'm also having a hell of a time clicking. I have resorted to just tap clicking because pressing down is hit or miss. Mostly miss. I will click, then click again, then click again, then give up and tap.

Other than that, so far so good. The battery takes *way* too long to charge, but once calibrated, seems to give decent time.

2. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

as far as the drive goes, a 7200rpm drive is going to be louder than a 5400. there also may be a slight size difference causing contact with the case hence the vibration. only you can determine that. i have only played with the new track pad once and i didn't like the "click" either, but then again i am use to the tap method.

3. twynne macrumors 6502a

Sadly the Apple-installed 7200rpm drive also vibrates - at least on my CTO model it does. I'm awaiting a replacement and will see if it's as bad on that one.

As for the clicking - I struggle sometimes as well. It does get better with time as your new laptop trains you. :D

4. TheHoff macrumors 6502

I put in the same drive, same new MBP and I don't have any vibration from it so it is probably unique to your drive unit or the way it is suspended. I would re-rail it and re-seat it and try a little less or a little more screw pressure. I've also used that gunk that sticks posters to the wall and then peels off (sort of like silly putty) to dampen drives out... just wad it in with the railings and it should absorb any excess vibration.

Of course I'd rather have Apple deal with a new machine issue but you did swap the drive, so...

ps. agreed about the clicking (I'm better with tapping anyway) and the battery charge/life

5. nitewolfgtr macrumors regular

nitewolfgtr

Hmm.. vibration is not good.....:cool:

I have a 7200rpm drive and i have no problem what so ever. Hope you problem is fixed soon... :D