Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spazik

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2015
Hi Everyone! New around these parts and in the apple world :eek:. I've been a windows/linux IT guy for the better part of a decade. I received this macbook pro from my sister in law after she said the screen was scrambled and didnt want to bother with it and she bought a new one. I couldn't stand to see a computer go to waste so I figured I would look into what it takes to get this thing up an running :D! As you can see in the link The screen has a strange yellow plaid background and a flashing folder with a question mark. Previously to this it had a gray screen that was scrambled. The hard drive seems to be spinning and when I opened it up there was no obviously damage(water, burn marks, etc), the battery holds a good charge, and the screen is undamaged. You cannot get passed the current yellow plaid screen. Can any of you tell me what is going on and what I can do? I am very technically capable but I am not sure how serviceable macbooks are from an at home standpoint. Even if I have to take it to an apple store I would like to at least know whats going on out of pure curiosity. Thank you in advance for any help!

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
A 2008 MBPro will be either considered obsolete, or "vintage", which is the last status prior to obsolete. Either way, you will not likely get support to fix your MBPro at an Apple store.

That said, the "plaid" display would indicate a problem with the GPU (the display panel is likely just fine), and is probably not repairable outside of replacing the logic board (there's no replaceable graphics card).
You may read about "flowing" the logic board in an attempt to get the video working again. That might help (or might not) assuming you are skilled with disassembly and working with a solder station.

The flashing folder with ? means that the computer can't find a bootable system, with the usual choices.
Some boot files are corrupt or missing - or the OS X system just needs to be reinstalled - OR
the hard drive is failing/failed - OR
the SATA ribbon cable is bad - OR
the SATA controller on the logic board has failed. It's a chip on the logic board, so would be a bad logic board again.

Spazik

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2015
A 2008 MBPro will be either considered obsolete, or "vintage", which is the last status prior to obsolete. Either way, you will not likely get support to fix your MBPro at an Apple store.

That said, the "plaid" display would indicate a problem with the GPU (the display panel is likely just fine), and is probably not repairable outside of replacing the logic board (there's no replaceable graphics card).
You may read about "flowing" the logic board in an attempt to get the video working again. That might help (or might not) assuming you are skilled with disassembly and working with a solder station.

The flashing folder with ? means that the computer can't find a bootable system, with the usual choices.
Some boot files are corrupt or missing - or the OS X system just needs to be reinstalled - OR
the hard drive is failing/failed - OR
the SATA ribbon cable is bad - OR
the SATA controller on the logic board has failed. It's a chip on the logic board, so would be a bad logic board again.

I can understand the obsolete status, it IS almost 8 years old. I'll look up this flowing fix, any good videos or guides you would recommend? Also would it be possible to purchase a new logic board?

Spazik

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2015
- It looks like it, yes, but they don't come cheaply. Ebay.

Yikes! Looks like ill try flowing first! This is just going to be a learning platform anyway so if it doesn't work it's no big deal! Thank you for your help.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Yikes! Looks like ill try flowing first! This is just going to be a learning platform anyway so if it doesn't work it's no big deal! Thank you for your help.

I wouldn't suggest paying that much for a logic board. I mean how do you know the one you buy will remain in perfect working order for several years? New boards haven't been available for many years. Even if Apple offered repairs at this point, you would receive a refurbished board, not a new one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.