2008 Macbook Pro Won't startup 99% of the time

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dessiek, Jul 26, 2012.

1. dessiek macrumors newbie

My Macbook Pro ( early 2008 model) died... Simply won't turn on., most of the time... Occasionally it starts up ( maybe one in twenty times if i keep trying). When it doesn't start up you can hear the DVD drive checking and nothing else...

I have ruled out the hard drive (have a spare).. Im fairly certain its not the RAM thats causing the issue... But the fact that it sporadically kicks into life confuses me greatly...
    All i can limit it down to is a hardware issue of some sort... after that - im clueless...
    has anyone any ideas?
    Resetting the PRAM or SMC doesnt make a blind bit of difference...

I was about to sell it on for parts and let someone else worry about it.. but id rather not do that if the fix turned out to be something very simple.
    One final thing - I did bring it in to a so-called Apple "Genius". He reckoned it was the logic board...

other possible sugesstions ive come across are
    (a) An issue with the thermal paste for the CPU..
    (b) The heatsink not working correctly, or some overheating issues...(altho it fails to start even when idle for weeks which would rule it out)..

Should I investigate further or am I about to get into a world of pain.... i couldnt be bothered spending hours and hours trying to fix it. life is too short.

suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated!!
    cheers..

Dessie.

2. ZacT94 macrumors regular

Just get a new Macbook. I'd recommend the Retina, but it depends on how much your budget will be.

3. dessiek thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks.. but that's not very helpful.
    I'm well aware that i could buy another laptop,.
    I could buy 50 of them and live in hope that by some miracle one of them survives past 4 years old...

----------

thanks.. simsaladimbamba

I'm pretty sure this Macbook doesnt have the video card issue... i don't hear the BONG noise at all... so i don't think its just the screen/display..
    it was six months ago but the apple guy in the store said the same thing...

4. bossxii macrumors 68000

If you press the power button and nothing happens it could be the power switch on the mobo. I don't repair them, but work in the parts industry and see this every so often. Obviously if the SuperDrive spins or you hear it try to boot but a black screen then the LCD or GPU is more likely to be the issue.

5. dessiek thread starter macrumors newbie

It always reacts to the power button...
    The Superdrive always works too.
    So next in the chain is probably the screen/GPU as you said. I Wonder how to diagnose this tho.. and if there is even a fix..

6. bossxii macrumors 68000

First thing to try it hooking it up to an external monitor. If it lights up, you have a bad LCD, if it sounds like it's loading (do you hear the starting "bong")? If so and no screen, most likely bad GPU.

If it's and LCD issue, hit me up on chat I'll see what I can do to help you on the price of a new LCD as I run a Mac/iDevice parts company. If it's the GPU, nothing to be done but replace the logic board which can get pricey but cheaper than buying new.