(2008) MacBook (White Model) Hard-drive problem.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by PSP4LyFE, May 27, 2012.

1. PSP4LyFE macrumors newbie

My hard drive keeps starting up on the start up disk, and i get errors with the regular hard drive, how can i replace my hard drive at a low price and where can i get a reliable hard drive online for cheap?, i could put a new one in myself but i want to know which one to buy please send me some links. thanks a lot.

2. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

Try Newegg or Other World Computing.

3. mykweb macrumors member

Swapping a hard disk is very easy. There are two ways to do this.

(Long Way) buy a new hard disk and install osx and all your apps again.

(Short Way) buy a new hard disk and a 2.5 sata caddy and use your osx disk to clone the exisiting disk. this way it will retain the apps and settings. However if your current hard disk is failing and cuasing issues the first way might be the best option.

One thing to consider. Not sure of where you are located but in the UK the price off Solid State Disks are plumiting. You can get a 128 GB disk for around £70-£90 and a 60GB for £45-£60. SSD's are 10x faster than conventional disks. However you lack the large space sizes of the disks. For example you can get a 500GB hard disk for £40-£60.

guides for replacing hard disks are on http://www.ifixit.com/

Mike

4. PSP4LyFE thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm from the US, And my current HD is 200GB but now its running off of the start up disk... w/e that is, so would it be cheaper to bring it to the apple store and have them switch it out and recover my files and put them on the new HD or would it be cheaper to do it myself?

5. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

Absolutely not. If you had AppleCare, yes.