2008 MacPro or wait for 2010 new MacPro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Macsonic, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Macsonic macrumors 65816

Macsonic

Hello

Someone is selling to me a second hand 2008 2.8 Octo MacPro. I am also considering the next new 2010 Gulftown MacPros. Is it better for me to wait for the 2010 new MacPro or get the 2.8 Octo now ?

I did read a thread in this forum about the 2010 processors but would like to get everyone's comments and opinions. What would be the clear advantages of the 2010 MacPro?

The machine will be use for heavy graphic designing and light video editing.

Thanks

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Your needs and price limitations are important factors in this decision.

You also already have one, are you going to replace this?

3. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

If you are getting a good price on the 2008, I'd say go with that. With what you post you uses are I doubt you'd see significant performace boost even with next round of upgrades. Until software is able to fully utilize multicore threading clock speed wins out.

4. Macsonic thread starter macrumors 65816

Macsonic

It will be for my wife to use as sometimes the workload gets heavy and I need help. It will be the backup machine. The iMac is what our office uses. Thanks for the input.

5. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

I spent the day editing HD on my Mac Pro and the only time I had some dropped frames were when I had FC render out a 20 min Blu-Ray file in the background while I was still editing (not using compressor)
    It really is a very capable machine, so if you get a good price, go for it

6. justit macrumors 6502a

No matter how fast the 2010 MP, your bottle neck will be the hard drive. Save some money and get the 2008, invest in fast drives and/or SSD boot drive, get some memory and you'll be further along than a stock 2010.

7. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

iThink this sentence alone chooses '08 for you. Also, I like the new avatar thegoldenmackid :cool:

8. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

No, the real bottleneck here is your mom! In all seriousness though, the processor and RAM are equally important if he uses Final Cut for his "light video editing" :rolleyes: