Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will G.

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2006
I've just had it a day, but I love it so far.

Put it to sleep last night to see if it'd have a problem waking up in the morning, but it didn't. I was very relieved.

Intalled Vista and tried the Crysis and Lord of the Rings Online demos - very beautiful graphics.

All the program opening times are a noticable improvement over my old dual 800mhz G4 - though I haven't had a chance to do any Photoshop / Final Cut work with it, which is where I imagine the speed will really sho w.

pejusdas

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2007
Re: 2008 MacPro: Positive Experiences

I love mine. I had to replace my other one because of video issues. This one is rock solid so far. The 8800GT and 8 cores are great. I added two 750gb Samsung Spinpoints and 4gb of OWC ram today. She screams now!

The Mac Pro is an amazing machine!

Where did you get your OWC from and for how much???

designer22

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2008
Minneapolis MN
This is my first Mac and I am loving it beyond words. The OS alone is worth the price after dealing with Windows for too many years - this OS is so advanced - it's just what I hoped a computer could be...

It starts up so fast, and is so sweet...I am ecstatic to be a Mac owner/user!

MacPeach

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2008
Switzerland
This is my first Mac and I am loving it beyond words. The OS alone is worth the price after dealing with Windows for too many years - this OS is so advanced - it's just what I hoped a computer could be...

It starts up so fast, and is so sweet...I am ecstatic to be a Mac owner/user!

Welcome to the community of Mac!
I switched 3 years ago and Im proud to have no Windows anymore in my house! My MP should arrive mondays...

mashny

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2006
I've only had my Mac Pro set up for two days, but I love it. Absolutely love it. My last machine was an eight-year-old G4 400, so using this machine is almost like being reborn, especially since I do some pretty heavy Photoshop work. I tested the sleep issue and had no problem coming out of sleep.

I didn't think I'd like the keyboard (I'm very partial to keyboards with a "deeper" feel, but the solidity and feel of this keyboard won me over).

The night I set it up, I was up until about 5:00 a.m. because I didn't want to stop using it or let it out of my sight.

ODLAWMAC

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2008
Cant Wait to use.

My Mac Pro has just updated its status to "Prepared for shipment"

This is very exciting.

This machine will be a dream come true here is what i am working with and what my mac pro will consist of.

For a year i was working on an Imac G5 currently i am using my Ibook g4 to write this response on so it's going to be a major change with the Mac Pro

I am going to have

Two 30" Displays
Final cut Studio
Logic Studio
Photoshop suite (Not intel)...Oh well.... will probably still be super fast

1 new Apple Wireless Keyboard
1 new Apple Wired Keyboard
Dot Mac
Need for speed carbon. (Going to be Kick ass with the 8800 Gt!!!!)

Mac Pro Configuration:

Two 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeo
2GB (2x1GB)
4GB (2x2GB) (Ordered from OWC)
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512MB
500GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb
500GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb (Ordered 2nd drive from OWC)
Two 16x SuperDrives
AirPort Extreme Card (Wi-Fi)
APPLE WIRELESS MIGHTY MOUSE
WIRELESS KEYBD/ OS X
Country Kit

SHOULD ARRIVE WITHIN A WEEK.......YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wafl iron

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2007
just booted up mp8800 2x2.8 after successful hardware test. put it to sleep, came back awake with no reboot.

looking good here

updating to 10.5.2 in a few mins

Does anyone know how to make terminal have transparent windows? like in tiger?

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
Does anyone know how to make terminal have transparent windows? like in tiger?

Go into the preferences then select the theme your using. Then under the window tab, select background color. Then a color selector comes up and change the opacity.

rouxeny

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2008
Just set up the 2.8 octo, 2 GB, 8800, wifi with 30" ACD and it's running fine. I'm in the process of trying to import my pictures into iPhoto off an external hard drive. It's a pain so far, I've had to filter out the RAWs from all the rest of the Jpegs. I think I should have saved onto the hard drive in a more logical fashion.

Regardless, it seems to run fairly fast, the only time I've noticed any slow down has been while copying 5 folders from external drive to computer while iPhoto has been importing off the internal drive.

I haven't tried sleep yet and I haven't upgraded to 10.5.2 yet.

Otherwise, no funny noises, no flickering on the screen, everything seems pretty good.

Brianna

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2008
I got a dual 3.2GHz Mac Pro w/8800GT, and installed 8GB of RAM, and have 2.5TB of drive space. All I can say is it's blistering fast, and I couldn't be happier right now. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.