2008 Macpro Sluggish Start plus more!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ggoerl, Oct 15, 2010.

1. ggoerl macrumors regular

Today I started it up only to find it hanging at the grey apple screen, waited 5 minutes then finally got into osx where then I couldn't control anything. I could move the mouse around the screen but it was useless I couldn't click or close windows. Just drag the mouse around, does anyone have an idea as to why this is happening? The only thing I can do is put it to sleep by pushing the power button or completely shut it off by holding it.

2. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

If you got Radeon 2600XT, remove graphics card, boot your Mac and connect to it remotely, via VNC or SSH. If it'll be "responsive" - it's the card. If you have another card to test, it will be easier.

Second what you can check is your OS HDD. Boot from Install disc and perform Verify/Repair disk. But I'd start with graphics card judging by symptoms you've described.

3. ggoerl thread starter macrumors regular

I have the nvidia 8800 gt. I recently swapped my system drive with a bigger one and did a system restore via time machine from another drive I had. I think I may have found the problem though, it only booted slower when I had my ipod connected on startup. Is it just me or could that be why? Computer seems to be running fine now.... everything works.

4. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

If you have any USB/FW devices connected (which could be bootable), your Mac will boot slower. If you've changed HDD to new one or even restored OS from backup, select it in Startup Disk pref pane. Otherwise computer will be searching for OS volume at startup, which takes a little longer.
    Glad you've found the problem :)