2008 MBP 4.1 with intel 510 ssd /sata 3

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macpelle, Mar 6, 2011.

1. macpelle macrumors newbie

I'm about to put in an SSD in my 2008 penryn MBP 4.1.
    Right now I'm thinking about the vertex 2 or the intel 510.
    I know my computer won't fully be able to use the intel 510, but will it work at all with sata 3? Is that backwards compatible with my now three years old MBP?
    If I buy that one I can use it in my next computer after this one dies.
    Otherwise I think I'll go with the vertex 2 (seems to be faster than the X25-m after some googling around)

Sorry if this has been answered, I'm either a lousy forum searcher or blind.

Thanks a bundle!

2. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

3. axu539 macrumors 6502a

Backwards compatible, but kind of a waste of money. I'd just wait on the Intel G3s which should be cheaper, larger, and also have better random access speeds (which make more of a difference in real-world usage).

4. macpelle thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the answers! :) Great.
    I will hold on and see what happens, good to know it will work though.

5. smic macrumors newbie

have the same mbp and got the vertex2 50gig last weekend. It was totally worth it, almost like I bought a new computer :)

When Lion comes out I plan on getting one of these new/cheaper ssd's to replace the vertex and "pretend" I did get a new computer. And hopefully get a caddy that fits in the dvd drive area, or make my own, and put in my old 500gig as a storage drive.

6. macpelle thread starter macrumors newbie

haha, seems like a nice plan ;) Nice to hear, i figure it must feel a lot faster. My GF has the new 11" macbook air and I'm jealous of how speedy it feels :p
    I like the idea of keeping it until it doesn't work, and will keep this until it completely dies on me.
    (I've gotten the logic board replaced twice, latest was 6 months ago and they switched everything but the DVD-drive and top/bottom case. So I have a new screen and stuff, hopefully it will survive a looong time :p. I love apple care).

I may actually go with the vertex 2 or intel x25-m instead. Cheaper and my computer won't go faster anyways :p Blah, decisions..

7. polim78 macrumors newbie