Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

frankiechan1

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 20, 2008
ok i haf a question shud i unplug the power when the mbp is charged or i can leave it on....

im asking this coz ive learned that rechargable battery's life shortens when u keep the power plugged.... does it just bypass the battery when its fully charged?

CaptainChunk

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
No, you don't have to unplug the power cable.

Battery health will shorten over time naturally.

Ideally, a full discharge between each charge cycle will maximize the battery health because it will essentially keep the battery calibrated. But if you're plugged into an outlet at home without disconnecting and reconnecting the power cable frequently between cycles, the battery will remain on its current charge cycle. No harm done here.

m85476585

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008
Just use it on battery power at least a little at least once a week and you will be fine. Also calibrate it (see support.apple.com for instructions) about once every month or two. It is bad if you never discharge the battery, but leaving it plugged in after it is done charging is fine.

monoxera

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2009
Yes, I always leave mine on while the green light is still on :)

It's just like having the power cord for a desktop in there.

monoxera

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2009
I don't think we should continue posting in this thread and perhaps make a new thread in a more appropriate subforum.

As per the veristy, my link works so I'm guessing all is fine

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Seems like your URL is broken.

http://batteryuniversity/parttwo.htm

Fixed for ya ;)

Edit* It seems that this website is censoring the word ver-sity.

Clicking on your link doesn't work for me in FF or Safari, but if I copy and paste it into FF, it works, but Safari 4 doesn't like it.
And, it's not "versity" MR seems to have a problem with... but add .com and it kills it.

Either click on this link, then on the "Battery University" link, look for parts 1, 2 and 3... or just copy and paste this (batteryuniversity) into the url address bar of your browser (FF or Safari.) Don't need the .com part.

I'm not sure why MR is blocking the "versity. com" part... hmmm. Oh well, enough entertainment for the night...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.