2008 MBP Battery Issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by InvalidUserID, Jan 2, 2012.

1. InvalidUserID macrumors 6502a

InvalidUserID

Hello all,

Since I bought my early-2008 MBP new, it has gone through two replacement batteries. Both times, the battery would say "Check Battery Condition" and were replaced under warranty/extended warranty by Apple. I was told by the Apple employee that they switched battery manufacturers and that my new one should be better. However after only a few months of use, according to Coconut battery, the battery capacity is down to 83%.

I've always done battery calibrations as well as not keeping it hooked up to the wall charger excessively, etc. Is it just a bad battery design, bad vendor or what?

I'm hoping to get a new MBP maybe next year or so, hopefully the new MBPs don't have battery issues like mine.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It sounds like you may have gotten a few "bad apples" (no pun intended), which certainly happens. Many have no problems with batteries, while others seem to have problems with every one they get. How many cycles are on your battery now, and how old is it?

3. InvalidUserID thread starter macrumors 6502a

InvalidUserID

226 cycles and I'd say about 9-12 months old battery.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You do realize that battery is designed to retain up to 80% of its original capacity at 300 full charge and discharge cycles, right? Sounds like you're right on target, considering how many cycles you're putting on it.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions: