2008 MBP Battery Issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SamAshleyBlogs, Jun 14, 2012.

1. SamAshleyBlogs macrumors regular

Hi everyone,

I know the hype is the the rMBP right now.. I'm on board, as I ordered one and it just shipped! However, my old MBP (that I've already priced to trade-in on Gazelle) is giving me issues.

I have had the battery replaced...twice. Once when it was still under AppleCare and once in February. BOTH times I was told that we will see what happens with the battery and if the battery fails again we'll look deeper into the problem with no questions asked.

Here I am, with the same issue again. Cycle count is only 230 and my max charge is 3300. It only lasts me about 45 minutes and the battery status says, "service battery".

Went to the Genius Bar last night and explained my story. Of course, the girl was able to pull up my records and it was all in there. I know she is probably just a part-time employee so she doesn't have say, but I must say that I'm TOTALLY unhappy with what I heard.

She says that the battery they replaced in February only has a 90 day warranty, so I'd probably have to pay $99 for that. If it's a logic board issue, it's $310 to diagnose and repair.

Am I crazy to think that this battery should be considered faulty? I'm pretty positive I've read other places that they should still retain 80% AFTER 500-700 cycles.. I'm only at 230. Not to mention the fact that this has been an on-going issue and started when I was still in coverage.

They kept it for a few days to run some diagnostics, but I really don't know what to do. Paying that kind of money right now is worthless since Gazelle only quoted me at $300 for a trade-in (WITH everything working fine) and I'd have to pay $310 out of pocket to make that happen.

Any advice? Should I call AppleCare/Apple Support directly and speak with them about my dissatisfaction?

2. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Is this the aluminum macbook pro with the removable battery? If so, the battery was only designed to last ~300 cycles. The newer batteries used a different technology and were able to fit more oomph into the batteries, and those are supposed to last ~1000 cycles

If you need a new battery, look a while on Ebay. I got a once used Late 2008 battery for $40 (sells for $130). Got it and it said 106% capacity in Coconut battery AFTER calibration.

Edit: And why are you trading on Gazelle? I've seen this model go on ebay for upwards of $700!
    And I doubt the battery problem is a logic board issue, its probably just due to normal use.

3. SamAshleyBlogs thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the advice! Yes, that is the model I have. Just peeved with Apple Support at this point. Especially because I've bragged about them a million times. I don't think that a machine that cost me $2500 should need a battery replaced every year - I'm not a heavy user.

----------

I haven't even looked into ebay for this. I'm going to go check now.

4. SamAshleyBlogs thread starter macrumors regular

Persistence is key...

After Apple Support directing me BACK to the store to speak with a manager, it should be taken care of. The store said they'll send it to a depot and take care of the cost of the logic board and battery. Super.

5. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

With a new logic board AND battery, you might be able to get around $800 for this, definitely around $600 minimum, maybe a lot more if you sell to the right guy.

I'd take the extra parts, but... lol logic board AND battery is a ~$500 replacement.

6. SamAshleyBlogs thread starter macrumors regular

I think I am going to try to sell on ebay first. You're right. We'll see how it goes. Let me know if you know anyone that wants it, haha!

7. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Well I'd take it if I didnt just rebuild the same model for myself :D
    Just make sure to well describe it... I was ticked at the guy who didnt even mention the spill on mine..

8. SamAshleyBlogs thread starter macrumors regular

I'm really careful when I sell things on ebay and that's honestly what makes me nervous every time I do. I describe everything really well, but there are plenty of people out there who scam people - both on the seller AND buyer side.

9. SamAshleyBlogs thread starter macrumors regular

So, it's technically not a refurb, right? It seems like the MBP on ebay that are considered refurbs are going for more money. Would a logic board and battery replacement put me in this category?

10. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Mayybe... Technically it *is* refurbishment, but that usually applies to new purchases/self repair. If you want to put it in there, I dont think people are very picky.. but it might get seen more if it was just in used. Your choice.

Funny though, because my model (same as yours), I could sell for more in pieces and parts then I could probably get for the whole laptop ($800 vs $500. mines had some mods/self repair done to it...)