2008 MBP Battery on 9600M

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rickeames, Nov 10, 2008.

1. rickeames macrumors regular

Wow -- I have been running on the "better battery" mode for a while and tonight switched to "performance." My reported battery time is half of what it was the other way.

Really?

2. Mercellus macrumors regular

I have only noticed around a 15 minute difference between running the computer with the GeForce 9600M GT vs the GeForce 9400M. I find that the 9400M is more than adequate for most uses and actually haven't taken advantage of the 9600M GT all that much.

3. rickeames thread starter macrumors regular

Hmmm, well I'm used to getting 3.5 and right now it's telling me 1.5 hours left with about 80% charge, so it's obviously very confused.

4. Mercellus macrumors regular

It also tries to estimate the time by the amount of usage and the type of CPU usage at the time, etc. Make sure you have calibrated your battery as well.

5. rickeames thread starter macrumors regular

Do you have to calibrate it for each mode? I have calibrated the battery -- in better perf mode I get 3.5 hours. I get only 2 in the higher perf mode.

6. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

No calibration is to give the battery's internal processor a chance to get a feel for its min and max charge, and to "exercise" the molecules of the battery or something like that. Honestly, I've found that time remaining thing will bounce up and down by 30 mins plus depending on what your doing and how much charge you have left

7. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Depending on what you are going, it sounds about right. I'm getting about 2.5 hours on better performance and 3.5 hours on better battery on the 2.8GHz.

8. Coolnat2004 macrumors 6502

Coolnat2004

The same thing happens to me when I switch to the high performance chip. The battery life basically cuts in half.

Anyway, I've found that the time remaining isn't entirely accurate because it is based on whatever you are doing in that point in time. For example, I was playing a 3D game through VMWare on battery power, and the warning came up for 10 minutes of battery life left, but I closed the game & VM and lowered the screen brightness a few notches and I was able to squeeze 40 minutes out of it.