2008 MBP Dead - NVIDIA GeForce 8600M Issue?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Interstella5555, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Hi folks, my girlfiend has a 15" mid-2008 MBP:

http://support.apple.com/kb/SP4

She opened it up this morning and there was nothing on the display, though the front case light was one. We tired restarting several times, resetting PRAM and SMC (though difficult with no display indication or start up sound). I'm pretty sure it's fried, and am wondering if this could be related to the NVIDIA GeForce 8600M issues in the 2008 MBP line. If so, would it still be possible to be fixed under this recall(?) http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2377; I think I read somewhere that it was only valid for 3 years but can't remember where. Anyway, just wanted to see if the community had any tips, we're taking it into the store this afternoon to see what's going on. Thanks!

2. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

The warranty is good for four years from the date of purchase.

3. thundersteele macrumors 68030

How can you post the link but not actually read it? It clearly says that they cover for up to four years, if the GPU can be identified as issue.

If the MBP doesn't boot up at all, they can't run their diagnosis, and can not determine whether the GPU caused the failure. Then they can't offer free repair.
    In my case I agreed to a $300 flat rate repair. When I picked it up they said it was free since after taking it apart, they were able to identify the GPU problem.

Good luck, also check the models that are covered (see the link you posted)!

4. jumpman25 macrumors regular

This happened to my old MBP. Had the 8600gt in it and all of the sudden I had no display. I called apple and told them about how it was a known problem with this particular version of the macbook pro. The machine was several years old and I never purchased applecare and they still fixed it for free. Box arrived at my door within 24 hours. I packed the computer up and sent it off. They had it back to me in a couple days. If they give you trouble over the phone, give them the link on apple's site where it says they repair it. The guy I talked to hadn't heard of the problem so I gave him the link and he set the repair up for me.

5. Interstella5555 thread starter macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Thanks, my reading comprehension apparently isn't what it used to be..

6. thundersteele macrumors 68030

No problem. How did the appointment go? Did they fix it?

7. Interstella5555 thread starter macrumors 603

Interstella5555

She went without me, but I guess they told her $900 for the logic board; were going to do a $310 flat fix but apparently she has a ding in the casing so she's not eligible. I told her she should have pressed on the video card issue, but she didn't for some reason, maybe concerned that they would have turned her down? Anyway, checking up on options with her and hopefully managing to convince her to call or go back to the store to bring up the video card. Thanks for the help everyone.