2008 MBP: internal temp?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rickeames, Nov 13, 2008.

1. rickeames macrumors regular

So I'm looking at iStat right now and it's telling me that CPU A is at 81 degrees (C) so that seems...high. What should it be operating at?

2. kdirectorate macrumors newbie

yea... got the same problem.. i only open photoshop n words n it heated up to 80 degreeC....and vista hang on me 3 times because of the heat... something is really wrong here.. temperature is way too high... think its time to call apple...

3. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Check your process list, see what is taxing your CPU. Also, make sure both your fans are operating correctly. They should never drop below 2000rpm (+/- 15rpm or so)

4. kdirectorate macrumors newbie

with the bad experience... the fan is running at 4000rpm on default now... but on vista i have to set it 6500rpm to prevent it from crashing... and its dame noisy when its running at 6500rpm..

5. Silentzio macrumors newbie

did you ever get an answer from apple?

mine also ran over 81C and the fans did not even increase speed from 2000rpm. Apple says, after hardware test and testing in fail safe mode, hand it in and have it checked. but that takes 2-3 weeks. with fan control, i was able to get it to work fine with 2000rpm idle and lower threshold 55C and high 78C.

but what will happen with temp now that i install windows via bootcamp?

6. ManWithhat macrumors regular

I've been working in Dreamweaver / Word / Photoshop for about 20 minutes. Fans are running at 2046rpm constant. CPUs are at 54 C.

7. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

I've noticed that the reported temps on the CPU are higher than on my older MBP for the same tasks. It could be bad reporting or it could be higher temps. Not sure which yet.

8. MacAlpha macrumors regular

Mine runs the same. It is usually between 55 and 82 and as far as I am concerned that is fine. If you really want to see it heat up, run HandBrake. My CPU gets up to just a little over 100 and then the fans start to really blast (around 4500 rpm) and then it goes right back down to around 80. Given that the computer knows its temperature, I can only assume that these temperatures are fine or Apple would have programmed the fans to kick in sooner. If you are really paranoid about there are programs that allow you to rev up the fan speed (I think it is called smcFanControl).

9. tivoboy macrumors 68030

Fans

I just tried these tests on my Gen2 MBP 2008 2.5 4GB RAM 15"

The fans sit at 2000 rpm, but only when the CPUa and GPU diode get up to about 78-80, do the fans from the control kick in to about 2100- then ramp to about 2500.

This is running the yes /dev/null in a couple windows. CPU is not pegged however.

Top of the keyboard, base on the LCD is the hottest spot, and the BACK of the unit under the LCD.

As heatsink A heads to 65 C, then the fans run up to 2800 or so.

Does this seem right?

This is with SMCfancontrol turned off and shut down, but not unistalled.

10. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

11. the advisor macrumors member

Correct

The Penryn chip, as well as the new GPU's run at a much higher temp then previous hardware. Additionally, the new unibody does not allow as much airflow then previous models. The issue is in the Firmware that should ramp up the fans to proactively reduce heat instead of trying to control it afterwards. Vista locks out because its hardware management is far inferior to Apples in terms of heat management of this new hardware. It basically lets the machine cook itself, but commonly only under high GPU loads. I can run XP Pro no problem without artificially turning up the fans in SMC.

Having loud fans cooling a hot chip under load in your new MBP is like complaining that your ferrari makes too much noise when you floor it. Granted its not ideal, but thats the price we pay for the performance.

12. tivoboy macrumors 68030

previous

This is the previous MBP, not the unibody.

Funny thing happened though, as I went the end kill the terminal processes, it just CRASHED and the FANS stayed cranking. Had to do a complete shutdown to get them to reset.

13. cathyy macrumors 6502a

You are a complete moron. Penryn CPUs are manufactured at a 45nm process. The previous Merom CPUs were manufactured at a 65nm process. This process is called 'die shrinking', which allows for the chips to run cooler. One of the main reasons why Apple refreshed the MBP line with Penryn chips is because they run cooler, not hotter.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=443034
    http://www.tuaw.com/2008/02/29/engadget-tries-to-fry-an-egg-on-penryn-macbook-pro/
    http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/09/19/next_gen_macbook_pro_penryn_chips_revealed.html
    http://www.digitimes.com/NewsShow/MailHome.asp?datePublish=2007/9/19&pages=PD&seq=211

So, tell me why my MBP hasn't cooked itself yet under Vista? My CPU temperatures stay at a constant 70 C while my GPU temperatures stay at a constant 82 C during a very heavy gaming session in Windows Vista. Doesn't seem to be any hotter than what everyone else here experiences in OS X.

14. areusche macrumors regular

areusche

MBP run pretty hot. Sadly Apple calls them notebooks and not laptops for a reason :-/

I recommend using SMC Fan Control. It will definitely make a difference, even though it will run a bit louder.

15. cathyy macrumors 6502a

I actually found that the MBP's CPU & HDD run quite a bit cooler internally as compared to my peer's notebooks. (Toshiba Satellite M200, BenQ S41, Acer 4920G, HP dv6700) It's just that the aluminium acts as a giant heatsink and disperses the heat from inside, but we are able to feel that heat.

16. mbpnewbie macrumors regular

17. tivoboy macrumors 68030

well

Well, after running the stress test yesterday, I think the FANS only got up to like 4000 or so, today it appears that the fans sound a bit like they are grinding?

They are running at 2k, or 2.5K depending on my smcfancontrol, but they are making a bit of a whining sound. Same room, same noise, same bat channel.

Can one damage them by doing such a simple stress test? Is there anything one can do other than sit, wait and then take in for repair if they get much worse?

18. allanibanez macrumors regular

I've just been rendering a video and was running at 112 degrees. MB's run hot when they're working hard. Fact.

I wouldn't be too worried about your temps. idleing at 60-70 is pretty normal i think.

19. cathyy macrumors 6502a

112 C or 112 F?

112 C is insanely hot and I'm surprised that your MB hasn't already shut down to prevent further damage. 112 F is insanely cool.

And no, you shouldn't be able to damage your computer simply by stressing it out (besides the 8600M GT because it's already defective). All notebooks should have sufficent cooling to prevent it from reaching too high a temperature.

In the worst case scenario whereby something goes wrong and the temperatures hit insanely high levels, (faulty fan; thermal paste wasn't applied properly) your notebook should shut down to prevent it from further damage. In the event that this happens, it's time to bring it to the Apple store. If it hits insanely high levels and it still doesn't shut down, then use your common sense and shut it down yourself. :p