Price Advice 2008 MBP pricing advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by almonde, Feb 26, 2012.

1. almonde, Feb 26, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2012

almonde macrumors regular

Since getting a 27in iMac in November my 2008 MBP has not really had any love, i barely use it compared with the imac and ipad combo.

I'm thinking of selling and maybe getting a MBA later this year.

Mac2Sell prices the computer at $700, that sounds really too high to me. The specs are:

- 2008 Macbook Pro (non-unibody)
    - C2D 2,4 ghz CPU
    - 4gb RAM
    - 640gb HD
    - 15" matte screen
    - no cosmetic damage.
    - new battery a few months a go (has <20 cycles on it)
    - Leopard/SL discs (lion currently installed)

What do you guys reckon?

2. donklaus macrumors member

Sold mine in October...

... for $800. It had been upgraded to 6 GB of RAM (which is supported by this model, even if Apple doesn't say so), a 750 GB Scorpio Black (7200 rpm), plus had a new logic board and a reasonably healthy battery. Remember, this is the model with flaky GPU, so it is good to be able to say its been replaced. Cosmetic condition was good, but not excellent/perfect.

Given the extra time elapsed and lower specs, $700 might be high. Then again, still a very capable machine for regular use, and they hold their value.

Just some perspective that might be helpful.

3. almonde thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the input donklaus, I'll offer it out there in the $650ish mark i think and see what bites, can always go lower, but its annoying when you start too low and you realize as such when you get loads of offers.

4. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

I think you're right on in listing at $650 - be willing to take anything over $500.

You might also mention if you've had the 8600 (graphics processor) replaced - my one hesitation with a machine like yours that had not had it replaced would be that it would fail and that Apple wouldn't repair it.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As a starting point, you can check Mac2Sell, eBay, or Amazon for prices of similar models, to get an idea of what you may be able to charge. Then adjust your price to account for condition, configuration, remaining AppleCare coverage (if any), etc.