2008 MBP Repair

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TypeGray, Jun 2, 2011.

1. TypeGray macrumors newbie

I think my laptop is on its last legs. I've used the hell out of it, but with all the problems I've had with this thing, I'm finally coming to terms with my one and only possibly being a lemon.

PROBLEMS:
    1.) String of dead pixels. Well, not entirely dead. They're red, green or blue depending on mood.
    2.) Superdrive won't eject unless the laptop is upside down.
    3.) Headphone input has to be perfectly aligned for audio jack to work.
    4.) Paint on the palm rests is eroding. I must have abnormally acidic sweat.
    5.) Missing two feet (the poorly attached gray things underneath).

When the logic board failed, Apple fixed it for a max price of $300. Does anyone know if they'll honor the same price cap for multiple repairs? If so, are paint flaws covered?

Apple is offering me ~$350 for the laptop outright through their "recycling" program but I'm pretty sure I'd get more if I fixed it then sold it.

Since I've owned it, I have replaced the battery five times (luckily I only had to pay for two of them) and the logic board once. So that brings me to a grand total of between $500-600 for laptop repairs over 3 years on an $1100 laptop. I will never go without AppleCare again.

Sidenote - Do those plastic case protectors reduce heat dissipation? I'm trying to plan on what I can do to better preserve my next MBP short of not using it.

Thanks in advance!

2. TypeGray thread starter macrumors newbie

UPDATE:

$310 to repair everything minus cosmetic issues.

Craigslist says $700-800.

Apple offering $350-400 for recycling.

Repair or recycle?

3. TypeGray thread starter macrumors newbie

No. Cosmetic problems are not. $600+ just for the new palm rest.

4. palpatine macrumors 68040

considering the hassle of trying to sell it, i'd go with the recycling. seems like a great deal to me.

as for the plastic cover, it won't protect against your alien sweat :) i've got the case and i did some informal tests without finding any noticeable diffeences between having it off and on (posts somewhere in this forum). i imagine heavy gamers and extended peak usage would give different results, but probably not a big deal for everyday "regular" use.

anecdote: my cover saved my mbp from a gash inthe lid the other day. i baby my computer and am super careful, but ina hotel the other day i opened this window that had a swinging metal bar on it (too complicated to explain without seeing it). it left a huge scratch on my plastic case (i was in shock when the computer unexpectedly jerked across the desk) but my lid is safe and sound. the case paid for itself and then some :)