2008 MBP Top lid(housing) replace?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tmilless, Apr 1, 2012.

1. tmilless macrumors newbie

I have an early 2008 Macbook Pro 15". and the top lid is pretty dented/scratched up.

I see just the top lid (the thing with the glowing apple logo) for sale on ebay, etc for pretty cheap.

Is it possible to replace just that lid without replacing the whole screen assembly? My screen is fine and I don't want to stick a ton of money into it.

Thanks

2. shardey macrumors 6502a

shardey

Is it the unibody, if so check this out. As for the outer shell, here.

3. tmilless thread starter macrumors newbie

No Its not the Unibody, its the last one before the unibody.

Will it work? I found one on eBay for like 30 dollars in really good shape.

4. shardey macrumors 6502a

shardey

It should, if you have the right one and find the right guide on iFixit. Double check the forums on iFixit to see if anyone else has tried this.

5. tmilless thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I found it on iFixit a little bit ago, looks pretty tough. And I'm a pretty handy guy. Almost nervous about it..

I might still go for it and have the local Apple authorized service center do it for me. A friend of mine had them do it it to a powerbook g4 a while ago and it was like 60 or 70 dollars labor. I still really like this machine and the top lid is the only draw back

My main worry is that the current top lid/screen is a little bent (from opening with one hand on either side) and if the new lid is straight, will the screen bend back to fit the new lid, or will it not fit well?

6. shardey macrumors 6502a

shardey

I would take it to get a quote if possible. I would think it would fit in just fine. I replaced my thermal paste on my early 11 17" mbp and talk about nervous :D