2008 MBP video dead - make it a server

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ST1300, Nov 5, 2014.

1. ST1300 macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I'm new to this forum and hope that someone can advise me. I have a 2008 MBP that the video stopped working a year ago August. I had it repaired/replaced (motherboard since it's integral) and then this last March it died again. Apple tells me that this vintage of MBP is now considered obsolete and they do not have parts to replace. So I'm thinking a server does not need a screen, turn the MBP into a server.

1) Can I do this?
    2) What is required? - Still need a video card?
    3) Is it worth while? What are the limitations?
    4) Can I do it myself or is there a place that can do this for me? (Apple??)

Thank you for your consideration...Bill

2. Potatochobit macrumors regular

well a server does not need a screen but u still need a video card to see what you are installing.
    you still have to click yes or no and choose options.

if you know someone else with the same macbook pro, you could install it there and then switch hard drives.
    after that you can control it from another computers webbrowser.

3. rmackner macrumors member

I think your sol unless you allowed screen sharing on the computer before it went down. They do have usb video cards but i'm pretty sure most of them need the driver software installed first.

4. ST1300 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you both for your replies. I wish there was a way that I could accomplish at least one of them. I did set up the shared screen but cannot figure how to get to it. Last evening while playing with it I found that I can turn up the volume and make the keys light up but unfortunately, that's about it.
    I'll keep looking for a used 15 inch that has other issues like a dead hard drive or battery and then swap the video over.

Macs are nice, the software is fun, but when there is a problem like this it's almost time to chuck it. I have a Dell from 2001 on Windows 95 still running in my amateur radio room downstairs. I've added USB and a DVD player to it. The only problem is the operating system gets forgetful after about 5 days of uptime.

Thanks again,

Bill