2008 MBP will not boot

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 707lineman, Nov 8, 2015.

1. 707lineman macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I have a 2008 MBP, 2007 was when it was made. Old non unibody, easily removed battery, 15" screen

It worked flawlessly until last year when the screen would start going black while using it, then it would come back and perform like normal. As time progressed, the blackouts were getting longer when finally then screen went out and never came back. When i power on now, I can hear the hdd make some sounds then go silent. No chime or beep, and the screen stays black the entire time. Also the SLI on the front lid catch, goes full bright when powering on then goes dim and stays that way. Nothing else happens. Also I have tried to hook an external monitor to it via the dvi port but nothing happens there either

Any ideas?

2. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

Sounds like you have a hardware failure. You would have to take it to an Apple certified technician to test and try to determine what has failed and what repairs would cost. My WAG (Wild A** Guess) would be the logic board.

3. 707lineman thread starter macrumors newbie

4. 707lineman thread starter macrumors newbie

I should mention that this has the nvidea line of graphics cards. Was there not a problem with this run of mbp's and those cards?

5. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

Yes, but since the dGPU is soldered to the logic board, the repair would still require replacing the logic board. Apple has tests for that and other problems.

6. 707lineman thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, thank you very much for the help. Ill get it into the shop as soon as I can

7. Idefix macrumors 6502

here's info on the NVIDIA 8600M video issue and Apple's extended warranty, which has expired long since in 2012

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/feedback/MacBookPro_video_failure.html#storytop

on the webpage you'll find links to various homemade remedies with varied levels of success.

My 2008 was probably one of the last repaired by Apple. I've seen repair quotes for $310 to $510.

You'd be better off getting a newish refurb or a discounted year-old model.

8. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

I have to agree with Idefix at pushing 9 year old technology that computer is no longer worth putting any money into your money would be far better used put towards a new computer.

9. mastermind6192 macrumors member

mastermind6192

The unit will require a new Logic Board. Apple does not make parts for any product over 5 years. An Authorized Provider gets parts from Apple and they would be under the same limitation. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201624. Its just time to cut your losses and buy a new Mac.