2008 Motherboard in a 2006 Mac Pro Chassis? Is that nuts?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by JPamplin, Oct 5, 2009.

1. JPamplin macrumors 6502

JPamplin

Folks,

Still noodling on this 2006 EFI32 issue and trying to predict when Apple will cut off EFI32 Macs from a future OS release because of it. It may NEVER happen, and if so, would be years away, but I have a hypothetical for you:

What if you could buy a 2008 Mac Pro motherboard (say from Apple or eBay or wherever). Is it a drop in replacement into a 2006 case? Yes, I understand you'd (probably) have to get new RAM, new CPUs (?), and it all might cost more than selling your 2006 and buying a 2008.

But I'm just throwing it out there - is it even possible?

JP

2. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

probably but not worth it. You can still get a 2008 mac pro. Just have to be patient. You can still get a descent price for your 2006 mac pro but wouldn't wait to long if your going to do it. I got rid of mine after I upgraded it to an octo. Was a nice machine though. :eek:

3. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

No, the RAM cage and pci slots are at a totally different level

Also, to buy a Mac Pro motherboard, you must send in your old one of same model, because they are only sold as repair parts. This applies to all resellers afaik.

4. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

I would also recommend to sell and buy a 2008. I just sold my MP1,1 x5365 Octad with 12 GB RAM for 2.810€. A very decent price that buys a good MP3,1. In my case I'll use the cash for my MP4,1.

5. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

Wow, that is insane amount of money for such a machine.

Here in sweden you'd get about half of that.

6. Coolpowers macrumors newbie

what configuration did you have for that price? because me too I sold mine for 2800 euros , it was a Nehalem 8 x 2.26 with 16 gb ram.

And for the question, I think that you can do it but may be you should modify the inside of the old Mac Pro box? but i'm not sure. and if you change it, would the air flow in the interior be good? even tho if i could, i would prefer to buy a refurbished octo 2.8 instead of trying to fit the mainboard, ram, cpu..etc, even tho the cost of this operation was the half of it, i would avoid doing it .. I would avoid the pain of doing that, breaking stuff, and I dont know if it would be as reliable as an original one..(may be would be overheating problems..etc)

7. hyram macrumors regular

Thought of doing the same thing...It's not possible, or at least not easy or cheap. You'll need new motherboard, processors, heatsinks, memory risers, memory and memory cage. Possible a new front fan housing. What's left???

hyram

8. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

I sold a MP1,1 with 8 core 3,0 GHz (X5365) Clovertown CPUs, 12 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, Snow Leopard installed and DVD, Seven64-RC installed with COA and DVD, original Bluetooth, original Airport, original keyboard and mouse all in good working order and original packaging for 2810€. I offered two 64 GB SSD as an option on top for additional 280€. The buyer has not told me yet if he takes the option. Whatever way it goes I will be happy with the deal.

9. Coolpowers macrumors newbie

thank you for your reply and congratulations for your deal ! :)