2008 MP: IO/Expansion fan running at full speed

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by weneversleep, Mar 23, 2011.

1. weneversleep macrumors newbie

I just purchased a used 2008 Mac Pro (2x2.8GHz, 8 core). When I tested it out with the seller, I didn't notice that there was a lot of fan noise (we were in a server room).

When I got it home, I really noticed the noise. After a lot of troubleshooting, iStatMenus shows that the IO/Expansion fan is running at 2900 RPM, which is the max speed. As soon as the system starts up, this fan soon goes to max speed.

The system does have an upgraded video card: the ATI 4870.

I have thoroughly cleaned the system out (dust, etc.). I have checked for any loose temp sensor connections. Apple Hardware Test does not show any errors. What else should I check?

Thanks!

2. mif macrumors regular

if you don't want to use Onyx, let the machine on trough the night, unix does some cleaning by itself. I guess.

3. beto2k7 macrumors 6502

IDK what the last post was about but anyway... you can use smcFanControl to manually set the fan speed. also you can create profiles.

4. weneversleep thread starter macrumors newbie

Took the box into the Apple store this morning. They ran the diagnostics (more extensive than AHT) and it showed a bunch of temperature sensors not reporting. Funny that AHT didn't show any of this.

So, it's going to get repaired. May be something as simple as a loose cable (or two), or it may be the logic board itself.

5. Joshuarocks macrumors 6502

Joshuarocks

If you need ASD, I have it.. email me and you shall have it! :)

Every mac user deserves better than AHT.

6. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

ASD?

my g5 does this fan thing, its loud as hell

7. beto2k7 macrumors 6502

Do u have it for Early 2009 Mac Pro.

8. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Not really. I have yet to have AHT report anything wrong with anything, ever. It's Placebo-ware.

9. cowasaki macrumors newbie

I have this same problem with my Mac Pro 1,1 2.66Ghz. It was very quiet when I got it but is very noisy now.

10. weneversleep thread starter macrumors newbie

Apple store called yesterday. Further hardware diagnosis determined that the logic board itself is bad. They are going to replace the logic board.