2008 MP vs 2009 MP: which one should I get??

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by tekboi, Aug 30, 2009.

1. tekboi macrumors 6502a

tekboi

I'm in the market for a mac pro now, and i've been reading that the 2008 model was better than the latest 2.26 octad version. But I have NO IDEA why. Can someone please shed some light?

Which is better overall?
    :apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The 2008 model a faster on applications that are not multithreaded and rely on solely processing speed. If you run multicore applications, the new 2009 model will be faster (in many cases).

3. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Hiya, it might help if you tell us a little about what you plan to do with your MP and which is better will depends on you're plans. Care you elaborate? As everyone on those forums uses their MacPro for different tasks, some casual Mac enthusiasts, some professional; which are you?

4. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

It offers greater performance per dollar at this time due to a higher base clockspeed, but there are a mess of advantages and disadvantages. Most relevant to you, I think, is that it's much cheaper. If you can afford a better 2009 MP than the 2.26 octad, it will likely be faster than the 2008 MP.

5. tekboi thread starter macrumors 6502a

tekboi

I guess I would say that I'm borderline professional. I'm a musician and a graphic design enthusiast. I've been creating music for 6 years and have a studio set up with my current G4 MDD. I plan on running Logic Studio (I've been DYING to work with it for a long time now). I'm a web developer and I just started working with Maya and plan on getting into 3D modeling and animation pretty soon.

I also plan on branching off into HD video editing. Some of the clients i've created websites for are musicians and are looking for someone to shoot music videos, interviews etc..

I feel that there is an untapped market in my area for professional level video editors.

Could it be done with an iMac? maybe. But I'm sure the MP will be able to handle everything I throw at it with ease and it upgradable.

6. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

What are the prices you are seeing on the 2.8 2008 mac pro?

To get into octo territory now is over 3,000. If you can score a 2.8 for less than 2000 with some extras it may be worth it.

7. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

For me I chose the 2.26GHz Nehalem mac pro and it fits more than my needs (same goes for the 2.8GHz 8 core model).

But I wanted the new architecture and I'm more of a heavy multitasker with 9-12 spaces with a bunch of apps open and vmware. Raw CPU power isnt what I really need since I dont render videos or graphics all day.

Also, so far I havnt seen my CPU activity go above 18%! Let alone it fluctuates roughly around 2-8%. If anything the hdd is the HUGE bottle neck! Cant wait until SSDs become the standard.

But choose whichever machine you want. If you want to save big bucks then go for the 2.8GHz but if you want the latest and greatest go for the 2.26GHz Nehalem 8 core model, you wont be disappointed!

8. tekboi thread starter macrumors 6502a

tekboi

So with 9-12 spaces filled with open programs and vmware fusion running, you still haven't seen the cpu activity go about 18%

that's insane!! :)

9. nanofrog macrumors G4

I'll bite. :D :p

It seems like you could use the 8 cores in the near future, so look at Octads. Now as per performance, the '09's aren't much different for most things (server usage is an exception, as it can utilize the IMC and QPI architecture well). Check out comparisons say on the 3.2GHz '08 & the 2.93GHz '09 (both Octad). The performance differences are minor, and certainly not worth the price tag, when you can get the '08 much cheaper.

The '08's do have EFI64 firmware (already needed for newer graphics cards, and will be for future OS support), so you're good there, and they're better at internal hardware RAID if you so desire (no adapter needed for 3rd party cards to use the internal HDD bays).

RAID would in fact be a good idea for graphics/video editing, and SSD would benefit the random access requirements of audio. Obviously memory and graphics cards, but don't forget the drives, as they're usually the worst bottleneck in any system. ;)

The financial savings from getting an '08 can be put into upgrades, such as drives, graphics, and memory. Possibly even a RAID card, depending on the specifics you want/need. Software RAID is an option, and is less expensive. Either way, no matter what you do for drives, just make sure you've a proper backup system in place. :)

Hope this helps, rather than fuel a fire. :p

10. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Adding to what our friend nano said.

There are many professionals on this board who are still using the 2008 MP and for the majority of their work mostly because it's a cheap (cheap to buy and cheaper to upgrade) and versatile machine, easy to customise and modify, definitely more flexible than the 2009 version when it comes to after-market RAID cards.

With the money you save, you could invest in better video cards or matching display, should you want to go down that road. Personally, I'd add more RAM first then consider improving the storage system!!

11. tekboi thread starter macrumors 6502a

tekboi

UPDATE:

Looks like i'm going for the 2008 model. There are tons of deals on ebay right now and I think that's partially due to the anticipation of the 2010 mac pro.

I seriously doubt that the price will decrease with the new mac pros. And my budgets is decreasing due to unforeseen circumstances. The only issue is determining through ebay which year the mac pros were produced. Alot of people are posting specs, but not posting which generation the mac pros are. I need something with 64-bit archeticture!

12. GMink macrumors regular

GMink

Just a word of caution about the Mac Pro's that your seeing on eBay. Be sure to email the seller of every computer your looking at and ask them for the Apple part number and the model number from the System profiler hardware overview screen. If they are not willing to provide that information then mark them off the list. I've seen several Mac Pro systems listed lately that have 8 cores and list the memory as DDR800 but are 2006 models with no mention of the Apple part number or even photos with the side open. They may be trying to pass them off as 2008 models.

13. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Sorry if this is slighly off subject but you did note the iMac as well and arent the iMacs also using 64 bit architecture as well? Just curious. I thought they did too but I'm not 100% sure on this...

14. tekboi thread starter macrumors 6502a

tekboi

Here is the specs from one of the auctions:

He also posted the serial number for the machin

Processor - CPU: Intel Xeon 5400
    CPU Speed: 2 x 3.06 GHz (quad-core) = 8 Core
    FPU: integrated
    Bus Speed: 1.6 GHz
    Data Path Width: 64 bit
    Address Width: 64 bit
    RAM Type: DDR2 ECC FB-DIMM
    Minimum RAM Speed: 800 MHz
    Onboard RAM: 3 GB
    RAM slots: 8
    Maximum RAM: 32 GB
    Level 1 Cache: 32 kB data, 32 kB instruction
    Level 2 Cache: 12 MB per processor (6 MB per core pair) on-chip, 1:1
    Expansion Slots: 1 PCI Express 2.0 x16 slot, 2 PCI Express x4 slots

Sounds like a 2008 model to me, am I wrong?

15. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

It is the 2008 model. If you can get it for less than $2,500, it is a good deal.

16. cpnotebook80 macrumors 6502a

I just got mine off a guy online here. Its the MP 2008 2.8x2 and its my first mac pro. It came with a samsung monitor. I paid 2100 cdn for it all.
    Plus i sold my old imac white 2.16 c2d for 800$.
    all in all, i like the speed i notice plus the features of upgradability.
    I will be getting more ram and better video card but so far things are great.

i dont regret it and also new to the MP world and got lots of advice n help off this forum to help me along the way.

I use mine for adobe and FCP with Hd videos and im happy.