2008 Ninja 250R....thinking about buying a bike...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Stridder44, Jun 1, 2008.

1. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

I've been looking around at buying a bike. I don't need insane power/speed (but I do love a nice exhaust sound and some "omph":)). I was at a bike shop the other day with my buddy and they had the new 2008 Ninja 250's. Damn they look much better! And cheap too ($3,499). But after test driving one, they sound pretty buzzy, and I'm wondering if a 250 would get boring, but I don't know yet.

I know for that money I could get a used bike (say a 600 or something), but I'm VERY skeptical of past owners. People are idiots and ride around at insane revs everywhere/drop their bike/etc. But that doesn't mean I'm ruling out getting pre-owned. I'm still somewhat new to bikes. Thoughts?

2. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

"Buy expensive cry once." In this case, buy new.

3. Kurfer macrumors regular

Kurfer

I have one and it's plenty fast...if you're a new rider it's a great bike. Don't listen to squids on their 1000cc bikes they drive up and down the street. You may outgrow it on a straight away but what kind of moron buys a bike for the straights? :)

It will be years before you max it's potential in the twisties, anyone who thinks otherwise is crazy.

4. NightFlight macrumors 6502

NightFlight

If you have never really ridden a bike before a 250 is a great place to start.

5. Stridder44 thread starter macrumors 68040

Stridder44

No doubt, but that exhaust sound really bugs me. I want the sound of street bike, not a dirt bike. I know it's only a 250 though. Perhaps I should just buy an aftermarket exhaust? Honestly, and I know it sounds superficial, but it's really the only thing holding me back.

6. SMDrew macrumors member

Quick Q... Have you taken the MSF riders course yet? That's a first place to start before asking "what bike".

As for the Ninja, if you can hold off until next year, it might be worth it for the FI model (which is selling in Europe ATM). I agree with you on buying new, unless you know a great independent bike mechanic who is able to go over any potential purchase with a fine tooth comb.

If you want a nice exhaust note and some "oomph", consider a thumper! I have a MZ 125SM and a KTM 625 SMC. This is a different kind of fun. Check out the Yamaha WR250X for the latest-and-greatest offering from the Japanese manufacturers.
    - "go anywhere" attitude with the grip of a sportbike on surface streets.
    - upright seating means your wrists and back will thank you at the end of a day
    - a parking lot drop won't cost you $800 in plastics to fix.
    - $20 supermoto trackdays, versus $300 sportbike trackdays
    - giggle-inspiring, real-world usable torque!

7. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

My friend is in the same position as the OP, and he will almost definitely end up getting the Ninja 250R. Plus it gets insane (good) gas milage... more than 80 ive heard.

8. Stridder44 thread starter macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Negative. I plan on signing up pretty quick here (I know there's a decent sized waiting list here in California if I remember correctly). Also I had no idea about the FI model! More likely than not it'll be at least a year before I buy it (I want to buy it outright and have other things to take care of first).