2008 octo-core 2.8 or 3.2 - where to buy online?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jonnysods, Mar 15, 2009.

1. jonnysods macrumors 601

jonnysods

Hello everyone, I'm looking to buy a 2008 octo core mac pro - the Apple store doesn't seem to have any refurbs - is there anywhere online I could pick one up? I'm in Canada, but a US address would work too!

Thanks all!

2. barefeats macrumors 65816

barefeats

3. eeboarder macrumors member

eeboarder

Right now, Amazon has a couple dual 2.8 and 3.0's

4. wkw macrumors 6502

wkw

I bet apple will put up some more refurbs this week

5. jonnysods thread starter macrumors 601

jonnysods

A lot of those are not refurbs - I wonder how long a refurb octo would last on Apple these days anyways?

6. turtlebud macrumors 6502a

seems like the 08 octo-cores are a hard to come by (the 3.2 even more so). amazon still has the 2.8Ghz, but they've raised their price from 2539 a week ago to 2799 today and lead time on shipping is 2-4 weeks. ever since the 3.2Ghz octo-core went out of stock in the apple refurb store, I haven't seen any 08 mac pros (any config) appear (which doesn't mean they won't in the future). If you haven't already bought one, your best bet is probably BHPhoto (as bearcatrp suggested). they have a number of configs available, thought the base config, which I see is now listed at $2304 is out of stock/discontinued. I've seen this mac pro go from discontinued to in stock in the past, but I dunno if that means they're getting more stock or not.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/540924-REG/Apple_Z0EM_7532_Customized_Mac_Pro_Desktop.html

7. idiotboy macrumors newbie

idiotboy

I've always had luck picking them off of ebay. Usually at really good prices too, but depends on the specs.

8. POLOgt macrumors member

POLOgt

9. NoNameBrand macrumors 6502

You're going to get hosed by the low exchange rate, taxes and duty buying from the US. Cheaper to get a new Mac Pro from Apple than a previous generation from an eBay seller outside of the country.

You can't order Macs (or any computers) from Amazon in Canada, unfortunately.

10. Cliff3 macrumors 65816

Cliff3

oops - Australia... (B&H will ship internationally - could be pricey though...)

edit^2 - I should really learn to read - in Canada now.

B&H is great, I've done business with them forever. Macconnection.com has some 2.8 eight cores in stock, and they're a reliable vendor. I have bought some items from Expercom, but no systems yet. They have 2.8's and 3.2's in stock.

11. Lucibelle macrumors member

Smalldog has at least one 2.8 octo new, and (at least?) a used 2.8 octo with French Canadian keyboard... :eek: No refurbished, but keep checking.

I bought my refurb Mac through Smalldog and I HIGHLY recommend dealing with them. Not only did they quickly, professionally and nicely handle replacing my first unit when it died within days, but they put in extra RAM when new Macs were released while the first unit was in transit back to them. Of course, the new Macs are out now, so don't be expecting free RAM. :p

However, based on my own experienced with buying refurbished, I won't do it again. JMHI.

12. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

13. the-lorax macrumors newbie