Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shecky

May 24, 2003
Obviously you're not a golfer.
very pleased to see these:

PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
Javier Bardem in "No Country for Old Men" (Miramax and Paramount Vantage)

DIRECTOR
Paul Thomas Anderson - "There Will Be Blood"
Ethan Coen & Joel Coen - "No Country For Old Men"
Julian Schnabel - "The Diving Bell And The Butterfly"

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
Brad Bird - "Ratatouille"

especially schnabel getting a nod for best director.

RBMaraman

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
New Albany, IN
I thought "Michael Clayton" was a fantastic film.

George Clooney was great, but Tom Wilkinson was fantastic. Glad to see both of them got nominated.

I would really like to see Ellen Page win, but I have a feeling Cate Blanchett will.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Juno is a great movie.

I guess Transformers is almost as good, since it got only one less nomination than Juno!

comictimes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
Berkeley, California
I'm very happy about Juno getting nominated for all of those... the rest were pretty expected but it was off the wall enough that I didn't expect if to be nominated for the big ones (best director, best actress, best picture).

OLD ELPASO

macrumors member
May 28, 2005
The worst part of this is the fact that Eastern Promises only got one nomination. Oh, and the fact that Juno was a best pic movie is shocking. I can deal with Ellen Page for her best actress nomination, but Best Picture is pushing it too far for Juno, even for the Oscars.

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
I thought "Michael Clayton" was a fantastic film.

George Clooney was great, but Tom Wilkinson was fantastic. Glad to see both of them got nominated.

I would really like to see Ellen Page win, but I have a feeling Cate Blanchett will.

Don't leave out Julie Christie. She's a former winner herself, but won hers before Blanchett was born (and when Page's mother was rather young herself, I'm sure). She's a tremendous actress and gave a great performance in Away From Her.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I can deal with Ellen Page for her best actress nomination, but Best Picture is pushing it too far for Juno, even for the Oscars.
Don't worry. Comedies don't win for Best Picture. "American Beauty" in 1999 was humorous, but not really a comedy. Musicals like Chicago can win, but that's rare. I couldn't think of a comedy that won Best Picture so I looked it up, and I see that "The Apartment" won for 1960. Was that a comedy? Even if it was, that kinda proves my point.

nikopolidis

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2007
FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM
"Beaufort" - Israel
"The Counterfeiters" - Austria
"Katyn," - Poland
"Mongol" - Kazakhstan
"12" - Russia

Have you watched "12"?? If not urgently recommend you to watch it!
If someone has already watched, please, share your impressions with us! :)

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
So another big storm is hitting LA tonight so the red carpet might be a little soaked.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
So the show is officially at 5PM PT; does anyone know when the actual announcements start?

irmongoose
Usually the first awards will start right after the opening act. But don't expect to see everything at once. They are gonna drag it out to 4-5 hours.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Don't worry. Comedies don't win for Best Picture. "American Beauty" in 1999 was humorous, but not really a comedy. Musicals like Chicago can win, but that's rare. I couldn't think of a comedy that won Best Picture so I looked it up, and I see that "The Apartment" won for 1960. Was that a comedy? Even if it was, that kinda proves my point.
There have been people that have said that comedians should get more credit. The Academy seems to frown upon comedy performances even tho a lot of great roles have come from comedians. I would love to see a best comedy category.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
There have been people that have said that comedians should get more credit. The Academy seems to frown upon comedy performances even tho a lot of great roles have come from comedians. I would love to see a best comedy category.
Me too. We know there are good actors who do comedies. We see that most clearly when they do dramas. Examples: Dan Aykroyd in Driving Miss Daisy, Whoopie Goldberg in The Color Purple, and Robin Williams in many films.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I think it is harder to be funny on cue than to be dramatic.

juanm

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2006
Fury 161
I just saw (24 minutes ago) No Country for Old Men, and I'm still shocked by Javier Bardem's acting. I worked with him a few years ago, and couldn't imagine him looking so... cold. :eek:

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
SNL had fun last night making fun of Bardem's character and a few others from the Best Picture nominees.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.