2008 Tour de France

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by gauchogolfer, Jul 3, 2008.

1. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I'm not sure how many cycling fans there are around here, but I figured I'd start a thread about the upcoming TdF. With so many of the big names either suspended or injured, who do you think will take home the maillot jaune this year?

I'm also looking forward to the coverage here in the States, since I enjoy the commentary from Paul Sherwin and Phil Liggett, and can tolerate Bob Roll.

Here's hoping Hincapie can have himself a good tour, and if not him, one of the Australians can pull through (Cadel Evans, maybe?).

Prologue is July 5th.

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Very disappointed that Astana is being held out after completely revamping that team and getting rid of those connected to the doping.

Contador has had an outstanding 2008 season to prove that the '07 Tour was no fluke, and it's a shame he won't be able to defend his title.

Can't believe that Boonen blew (or, more precisely, snorted) 2008 away. That leaves only Soler to defend a jersey this year...wow.

I'd probably put my money on Evans, but Valverde should also have a very good shot.

3. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

I thought after Lance retired, the Tour de France was cancelled. :D

4. LiveForever macrumors 6502

The Tour is tainted beyond repair by drug cheats.

Drug taking in the tour was, maybe still is endemic and most if not all top riders are involved.

I have my doubts about ALL The Tour winners from 1990 (when Indurain started winning) to 2008. Greg Le Mond was probably the last clean winner.

There is plenty of evidence to support that its engrained in team structures from team doctors, owners, trainers-the riders are just cogs in the machine.

The sports administrators must have known it was going on and basically turned a blind eye. Billions of people watch it, millions of dollars are at stake , is exciting to watch and if they are all on drugs then its a level playing field. That's how they would have justified what was happening.The authorities even gave the riders advanced notice of the drug tests so they could prepare to be clean.

Apparently to do the speeds they do, its not physically possible to expend that much energy day in day out without assistance from drugs.

We are talking Human Growth Hormone, Equine Growth Hormone, Blood Doping, Steroids, testesterone. Apparently EPO testing isn't very reliable.

Sorry Cycling at all levels from the Tour De France to The Olympics is a sham

http://www.smh.com.au/news/tourdefr...et-away-with-it/2007/07/29/1185647742991.html

5. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

SAAB Fly to the Finish Sweepstakes Codes

Will try to update daily. Enter at: http://versus.com/flytothefinish

Saturday, July 5th: SAAB
    Sunday, July 6th: ECHELON
    Monday, July 7th: AERODYNAMIC
    Tuesday, July 8th: EFFICIENCY
    Wednesday, July 9th: ???
    Thursday, July 10th: SPRINT
    Friday, July 11th: PODIUM
    Saturday, July 12th: JET INSPIRED
    Sunday, July 13th: DESCENT
    Monday, July 14th: ATTACK
    Tuesday, July 15th: [no code - rest day]
    Wednesday, July 16th: BICYCLING
    Thursday, July 17th: THROTTLE
    Friday, July 18th: JET ENGINE
    Saturday, July 19th: CERVELO
    Sunday, July 20th: PERFORMANCE
    Monday, July 21st: [no code - rest day]
    Tuesday, July 22nd: ALPS
    Wednesday, July 23rd: SOAR
    Thursday, July 24th: GREEN JERSEY
    Friday, July 25th: SADDLE
    Saturday, July 26th: TIME TRIAL
    and finally...
    Sunday, July 27th: PARIS

Hope this helps somebody win something!

6. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

They need a better testing method, that test the riders from 2 months out all the way up to race time. Then the race would be honest.

7. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I haven't followed the tour for a few years...it seemed like every rider I ever got excited about has been banned or forced into retirement due to doping, with the exception of Armstrong and Hincapie.

Hopefully this year's event will be more or less clean.

8. LiveForever macrumors 6502

I love Cycling, The Tour is the ultimate in human endurance. Its a shame its image is tainted. Just hope they really clean it up and not pay lip service to being anti drug.

9. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

No kidding. I might catch a few glimpses here and there. But if I'm watching any sporting events, it will be the Olympic trials and then the Olympics this summer.

10. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

11. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Nah, baseball's the one that's the dinosaur.

12. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

13. gauchogolfer thread starter macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Great time trial today for Schumacher, and I agree with the commentators that Cadel Evans was probably the big winner. He put some significant time on Valverde (around a minute, I think). Should be interesting to see how things shape up once they hit the Pyrenees.

14. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

After all the scandal over recent years it appears that many will need some time before they are convinced the majority of professional cycling is clean. That's fine, trust has to be earned.

The Tour de France and other professional events still provide a great spectacle. Thousands of spectators line the streets. There is still lots of commercial interest and this will continue to grow as teams and the sport continues to prove that the riders are competing clean.

However some of you are way too pessimistic about the sport. Especially as over recent years a great deal of progress has been made in regards to doping and cleaning up the sport.

The authorities are trying to change a culture and that will take time. The idea that cycling only pays lip service to doping is a lie — it does more than most sports to catch cheats. There is no longer the code of silence, some individuals will try to cheat and for them it is getting harder and harder. The days of the systematic, organised team doping appear to be over.

Cycling has taken decisive action once and for all (a real challenge considering the culture which was once so ingrained in the sport) and has paid the highest financial penalty for it.

It is only recently major sponsors like Columbia Clothing, Saxo Bank and Garmin have started to come back to the sport. No coincidence that these teams have strong ethical commitments and the tough, stringent independent anti doping programs.

In fact most of the pro teams now have strong anti-doping policies and make their riders take compulsory tests outside of those organised by the official authorities. CSC - Saxo Bank even publishes the results of these on their website.

Not all the cheats have been caught, no doubt there will be more out there, but it is a damn sight better than the 90s and there is GENUINE reason for hope and optimism.

This is a lie. There are plenty of clean riders who suffer like hell and get through it. More now than there used to be.

Having said all that I am deeply saddened and suspicious about this Schumacher.

Looking at his record it appears he:
    [1] Rode for T Mobile in 2002 before they released him.
    [2] Won a series of minor races in Belgium, the Netherlands and Germany in the years that followed.
    [3] Then he signed for Gerolsteiner in 2006 and he suddenly finished first overall Eneco Tour and won two stages in the Giro. Last year he wins Amstel Gold Classic and then culminates the season by finishing 3rd in the World Championships.
    [4] Today he puts 33 seconds into Fabian Cancellara (the world no. 1) over just 29KM in a time trial.

Doesn't smell right to me. Maybe he has just been training hard? But anyone who gets that good that fast in the current climate is bound raise suspicions.

Especially if they have had amphetamines found in their blood stream on two previous occasions (albeit once “on his way home from a Disco”).

His answers (I appreciate not in his mother tongue) were guarded, contradictory and inaccurate. It all sounded like something we had seen and heard from others before.

Yet without proof it is hard to speak out. Bradley Wiggins was apparently deeply troubled that Vinokurov could have beaten him by such a margin and be clean, but felt it was inappropriate and unprofessional to say anything to the press. He would only have been portrayed a sore loser. So I think it is quite telling to see what fellow professionals are not saying about Stefan Schumacher, rather than what they are saying.

15. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

One of the Spanish riders on Liquigas has tested positive for EPO,team hotel being searched at present.(technically it's the level of EPO which occurs naturally)

16. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

Yup 36 year old Manual Beltran has brought shame on the sport with his selfish actions. At least he got caught.

Couldn't he had just retired if he couldn't cope at his age?

As far as I understand it EPO is a drug which boosts the hematocrit level (percentage of red blood cells). Some people have naturally high hematocrit levels, but no one has EPO in their bodies naturally.

17. CMD is me macrumors 6502

Oh, you mean it wasn't... LOL... sure isn't getting much mention in the states this year.

18. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

19. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I'm trying hard to be shocked and appalled at Ricco's positive test. But I just can't bring myself to it anymore.

But I am ever-increasingly surprised that these guys continue to think they can get away with it. Which means one of two things: 1) They're incredibly stupid, or 2) There are still so many other riders getting away with it that they figure their chances of getting caught are acceptably low.

For the sake of the sport, I sure hope it's #1.

Oh, and Cavendish is certainly putting on a show, isn't he? It's almost getting boring. :)