2008 unibody MBP seperation problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by menadool, Oct 11, 2012.

1. menadool macrumors newbie

Hi there wonderful people of the mac world!! I'm a mac-noob and have a question.

I recently bought a 2008 MBP unibody to dabble in the world of mac AND LOVE IT!!! I have one small problem. The LCD glass and the top shell of my macbook seperate on lid closing and opening at the hinge (Pic below). (I think)This has caused my backlight to stop working. i thought it may just be a connector so I tear'd the thing down and connected only the LVDS and the LCD/backlight worked fine! Presuming I had completed the job ,and being quite chuffed with myself, I put it back together to no avail. Same problem. No back light.

So my question is two part. How do i get my back light working when its all back together? And how do I solve the problem of the LCD/top shell seperation? (I was thinking of glueing for the latter question)

Attached Files:

2. hackerwayne macrumors 6502a

hackerwayne

Did you drop the MacBook? This looks very very serious. If you bought it off eBay or somewhere else i suggest to send it back to them as i suspect someone tried to open the glass/LCD assembly and did not assemble it back properly. No, your backlight might not work again as it looks like the LCD board is bent/damaged. You will need a LCD replacement. MacBook/ Pro uses LED screens so theres no physical backlight board.

3. Binomio macrumors member

That is a known issue with the display assemblies on the 2008 and some 2009 15' MBP. It was apparently caused by the glue they used to stick the glass to the casing. I recommend you take it to an AASP or apple store and let them know about this and that the backlight issue was caused by this fault.