2008 unibody MBP ssd upgrade?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Eric8199, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

Hey guys, I have a late 2008 15" unibody MBP, and am debating putting an ssd in place of the optical drive. Question is, on that old of a machine, is it worth doing it? I'd like to get the rMBP next year, but if I could milk another year out of my current computer, it would help the pocket book. My wife and I just had twins, so money is tighter than it has been. However, my MBP is noticeably slowing down as of late, even with a recent ram upgrade (6gb-it was the highest I could go at the time, 8gb became an option like a month later).

What do you guys think? Worth an upgrade or save my pennies and get the retina next year?

2. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Man, SSD's have really come down quite a bit. But I think if you're planning on making the purchase of a nice replacement soon, wait.

I would really try cleaning up your 2008. Consider a clean install of the OS and read your files onto the hard drive. That REALLy helps with performance after a few years. If you're not feeling quite as ambitious, run disk utility from a DVD or if you've got Lion, boot into the recovery partition and clean up the disk. I'd recommend you try Onyx to clean out the caches and wipe the spotlight index. I do this full clean every 4-6 months and my 2010 MacBook Pro performs amazingly well.