2008 White MacBook Display Issue

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by knissjp, Dec 10, 2011.

1. knissjp macrumors newbie

I replaced my macbook screen assembly, and when i boot, it just shows a white screen. it still works plugged into an external monitor, and once started up, i can adjust the brightness on the lcd.

just a side note, it was out of warrantee, and i was told that apple charges an astronomical amount for stuff like that, plus i am a computer tech, and know how to do stuff like this. just wondering if anybody has any idea what my problem might be... i'm thinking lcd data cable, i know it's not the power inverter, since the screen lights up, and the brightness adjusts. anybody have this problem fixed, and/or know the solution?

2. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

That part is called the LVDS cable.

3. knissjp thread starter macrumors newbie

yes, that is the part i was referring to. i just didn't want to go over people's heads... this is my first time on the forum, and i wasn't sure whether people would know what i was talking about if i said LVDS. sorry for any confusion, and thanks.

4. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

5. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

Can you post a picture of what you see? It's not always the cable. The cable takes a lot more time to replace, so if you go through the work to replace it only for the LCD to be bad, you'll feel pretty bad.

6. craigjr88 macrumors newbie

Macbook 2008 just replaced LCD

I just replaced the LCD in my 2008 Macbook, it's an LG LCD and the only thing that worried me was the 2 wires with the hardness on the end that comes out of the bottom of the LCD that plugs into the inverter was cut and replaced. They come out of the bottom of the LCD about an inch and then it was cut and a 2 new wires was soldered and then the heat shrink was put over it. That all looks fine, but the one thing is that the replacement wires are a bit thicker and a bit longer so trying to get them to tuck nicely at the bottom of the LCD and then down into the clutch/Lid area was a pain.
    Now my problem is when I first power on the Macbook down on the right hand side of the screen half way between the right side and the middle about 1/4 of the way up from the bottom is a tiny white dot. You can only see the dot on bright screens, like the white screen on boot, and then any white screens that I pull up in the OS.
    But I found that when I lightly push on the frame of the LCD at the bottom on the right hand side the dot tends to go away! Any idea's???????