2008 White MacBook RAM issue?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by arrfenwoof, Dec 14, 2013.

1. arrfenwoof macrumors member

I just picked up a backup MacBook and it came with 2x1GB sticks. I tried putting 2x2GB sticks in but it wouldn't turn on, just a white light. So I try just 1 2GB stick, still just the light. So I tried it with 1 of the original 1GB sticks and a 2GB stick and boom, chime. For some reason it refuses to turn on unless one of the original sticks are present in the machine. Any ideas? I put 2x2GB into my Mid-2007 machine (only 3GB supported but runs fine with the 4GB installed). Any info is appreciated. Thank you!

2. WildCard^ macrumors regular

weird. I've read that Macbooks are finicky with their RAM, but this is odd.

So the new RAM works fine in your 2007, but not in your 2008?

Ever do a Memtest86 scan? I do it with all new RAM I buy. Really runs the stick through a huge number of tests and gives me peace of mind that I don't have to worry about random crashes later on.

I would be curious how the 2GB RAM tests in the 2007. Then test 3GB in the 2008. Then try 4GB in the 2008. If that fails to post, then try 3GB again with the 2nd 2GB module.

Each scan will take 1-2hrs. Be patient, it is worth it.

3. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I have experienced something very similar with my old white MacBook. I had 2x2GB sticks of RAM that would not work in the MacBook but worked perfectly in my Mac Mini. I never dug deeper since I just swapped the RAM with the Mac Mini and called it a day...

As a side note, both computers continue to function 100% fine to this day.

4. arrfenwoof thread starter macrumors member

Apparently it's because of the 6400 vs 5300 compatibility, I never even thought to look on the stickers. Look like for now i'm stuck with 3GB in one and 4GB in the other with the remaining 3GB I own in my HackBook :)

One question, which probably has no solution except a new LCD is... Theres a weird "bleached/ghosting/bright" spot on the bottom left corner which takes up a good 20% of the screen. You can see everything fine it's just VERY washed out/ghosted/bleached looking, hard to explain. Is this from it being dropped, someone pressing on the screen, magnetic field for a prolonged time before I bought it, or something else I can't imagine? Thanks for everyones help, you've all been incredibly nice!

5. WildCard^ macrumors regular

I always use 5300 in my older macbooks, just because I have read that it is most compatible with that config. But I have also read that under most circumstances, the macbook will allow the 6400.

Tinker, swap out and switch out, run Memtest.

As for your LCD issue, I've seen that before on older LCDs. You get a blob that looks washed out or sometimes dingy. It reminds me of the older monitors where you could mess up the screen with a magnet. Obviously LCDs don't have that issue with magnets... But I just write it off to old age. Maybe it is a hot component on the other side of the screen aging the area.

Old age LCD. You can prove that the case by plugging in an external monitor and verifying the image is perfect on the external.

6. arrfenwoof thread starter macrumors member

Well I have, to the best of my knowledge, tried every combination to get the 6400 ram to play nicely with the MacBook but it won't unless the other DIMM is occupied by a 5300 stick. Kinda strange.

7. WildCard^ macrumors regular

hmm, maybe not so strange. The 6400 would have to lower it's setting to match the other one, making them both 5300. Would explain why you can't get one single or two 6400's to work.

8. arrfenwoof thread starter macrumors member

Not sure if you can see the pictures all that well, Blackberry phones have a really bad camera.

Attached Files:

9. WildCard^ macrumors regular

oh well, sell the 6400s on Craigslist, buy some 5300s.

10. arrfenwoof thread starter macrumors member

Well heres where i'm a little stumped. I double checked all my 2GB sticks and they're all indeed PC2-6400S. Somehow the Mid-2007 MacBook works perfectly fine with 2x2GB 6400 sticks but the Early-2008 won't boot unless a 5300 stick is present in one of the slots. Is this possibly a firmware update (or whatever the bios equivalent is, in the case of macs)?