2008 Wii Recommendations

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by jaw04005, Mar 31, 2008.

1. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

My enthusiasm for the Wii continues to grow. What have you bought this year so far?

Endless Ocean - It's not for everyone. However, it's a calm, relaxing and an overall enjoyable casual game. The music is interesting. I'm still enjoying completing the not-required or necessary objectives.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl - Similar to previous Smash Bros., the Mission/Adventure mode is fun especially with two players. Love it.

I'm going to pick up Zack and Wiki this month. However, Amazon has been out of it for a while. What's up with that?

Also, Mario Kart comes out April 27. Wahoo.

In May, there's Wii Fit.

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Fixed!

WiiWare looks great in May!

and Okami is coming soon too

3. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

Mario Kart looks like it was made for the GameCube :(

Resident Evil 4 is great though. Only just discovered it.

4. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Wii Fit and Mario Kart will be purchases for me. Wii Ware'll definitely get some attention as well, although I am COMPLETELY out of space on my Wii (maybe 50 blocks left?).

Here's the thing- E3's in July again IIRC. Look at Nintendo's spacing. At E3 2007 they announced only TWO games- Mario Kart and Wii Fit. Compare that to the over a dozen games at E3 2006...but interestingly, outside of Wii Ware, Nintendo has announced nothing SINCE that pitiful E3 2007 showing.

I find it incredibly hard to believe that Nintendo hasn't been doing anything. Yet we really had hardly any game announcements during 2007 from them and nothing in 2008. And there's virtually nothing scheduled for the second half of 2008 (nothing after May).

Either they genuinely have nothing to show, or we're going to get a CRAZY blowout at E3 2008. I'm hoping for/expecting the latter.

5. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

It was made for 2 GameCubes ;)

6. jaw04005 thread starter macrumors 601

jaw04005

Well Reggie Fils-Aime hinted in an interview that Nintendo's holiday blockbusters would announced at E3. Also, he mentioned an original IP returning to the Wii. The rumor is Nintendo may be working on a new Kid Icarus game.

Also, we know Animal Crossing for Wii (as a possible MMO) is coming.

7. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I'd like to add Bully as a recommendation. If you didn't already play it on the PS2 it's well worth picking up. Great story line setup for a game, well developed characters, humorous, fantastic audio, and well thought out controls. I'm thoroughly enjoying it even though it was an impulse buy when I couldn't pick up Zack and Wiki.

8. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

We need a Pokemon MMO. But we know Nintendo would never do it right.

Can you imagine playing a game just like the classic Pokemon games except that the other trainers you meet while walking around are actual other trainers, and you can gain EXP and money by fighting them? You can go into the wild to catch Pokemon or go fight players to level faster and gain cash. Trade Pokemon with friends online and team through difficult areas...work together on missions to capture legendaries...etc.

Of course, Nintendo would do something involving friend codes and make it retarded, because they can't seem to make online play easy and workable.

9. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

^ Now that is one good idea. And you are dead right about the dumbing down Nintendo would put it through to make it kid-safe, so a dream it shall remain.

10. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

nothing.

I kid, I kid. But seriously, Nintendo must have something big at E3 or else they wouldn't have blown their load in the first half of the year. And if they wanna compete AAA titles wise, they better have something damn big because the PS3/360 are gonna be very good places to be come this Fall (and Spring).

Then again, Nintendo doesn't need anything at all. It's given the hardcore fanboys their Mario, Zelda, Smash Bros, Metriod and soon Mario Kart, so they will be placated and 'casual' gamers or whatever the PC title is now don't care because they buy crap Ninja Reflex and Mario Party 8 (god that game is horrible...). And besides that, Wii gets Rock Band which despite being a bastardized version, will still sell a metric asston so more console sales for Nintendo.

11. jaw04005 thread starter macrumors 601

jaw04005

I'll withhold judgement until I see what they do with Animal Crossing Wii. The problem with Nintendo is that their core audience doesn't even connect their console to the Internet.

Surveys from NPD have shown that less than 50 percent of PS3's and XBOX 360's are connected to the Internet. I would imagine for Wii owners that percentage drops to 20 percent or lower.

Therefore, every game that Nintendo creates has to have a solid single player experience otherwise they run the risk of alienating their base.

I have three family members who own Wii consoles and have DSL. Not one of them knew that they could connect their Wii's to the Internet via Wi-Fi to download Virtual Console games until I told them at Easter.

It's just not a priority for the casual gamers who've made the Wii the popular.

NPD Survey regarding console features:

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=15028

Side note: Survey on PS3/XBOX 360 owners who didn't know their consoles had HD graphics:

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3161833

12. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Naaa, It was made for 5 or 6 GameCubes. :)

-- >>
    *Just a general ramble to all monkeys*
    People need to remember that the Wii Kart version will contain maps from every other version. If you look over the screen shots, you can see a definite improvement when comparing it to Double Dash, especially in the texture quality, which is clearly better. Just think back to Prime 3, none of the screenshots did it justice.

Nintendo likes to keep things simple and they treat low-poly art like they do pixel art, as in it's a style. Meaning they'll intentionally model something more blocky to give it that old-school feel.

You can also see that the backgrounds for the Wii in general are much richer and contain much more detail than DD.

Compare this Wii shot to this Cube shot.
    -- >>

I'm looking forward to Okami more than any other game right now. And Wii Ware looks awesome.

Geometry Wars is a good buy at $20, if you can find it.

What I REALLY want, is this game for the Wii. A great epic space adventure.

<]=)

13. Rhinestorm macrumors member

14. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

So true. :D But they say that about all video games. I'm getting one for the cheeseball balancing games that will be spewed upon the Wii, so all of Namco's arcade games-o-cheese.

<]=)

15. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Since the big franchises have been released.... we don't know. There's Mario Kart, and some others but not much. They definitely have something coming for the holiday season. We'll have to wait til the next big game conference thingy.

16. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Hudson said recently the online Wii base was about 40%, about 8 million consoles.

17. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Has there been any new info for when the Star Wars game is coming out? It looks pretty sweet.

18. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

I don't think that's going to be on Wii :confused:

19. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

20. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

My mistake. I forgot they were doing loads of versions. Looks sweet indeed.

21. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

RE4 is the best videogame i've ever played, imho

22. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

And the Wii version of RE4 is the best version. :)

<]=)

23. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

MarioKart and Smash Bros, of course. But you guys are missing the big one.

Sadness !!!!!!!!!!

hahahahahahahaha, haha, . . . ha . . . . . *SIGH*. . . . . . .

24. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

That game was budgeted, they couldn't afford color. :)

<]=)

25. jonesey71113 macrumors newbie

Nostalgia!!

Does anybody know/want them to come out with Toy Story, Jazz Jackrabbit, or Aero The Acrobat for the SNES or SEGA consoles on the wii ware?? :) :D :eek: