2008macbook vs 2012 MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Goofy Yno, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Goofy Yno macrumors member

Hi,
    My wife is using a 2008 13" macbook (2.4 ghz, 3 GB, 250)- easy use- on-line, e mail, writing, some video storage, no editing. no gaming). My son's netbook went down this week. I am going to help him get a new laptop for school. how much improvement is there in a new macbook (13", 4 gb, 500)? I'm deciding if I want to give him the old mac,and get a new one for my wife.

2. RedCroissant Suspended

That depends on what he would need it for in school. Is he in high school, college, post college? If he would be using it for the same things that your wife does, then giving him that laptop should be fine. Otherwise, I would suggest Apple's refurbished section. Great deals can be had.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

A lot! With her normal workload, she'll see some noticeable improvement, but not as much as if she was really pushing her system.

4. Goofy Yno thread starter macrumors member

anything will work for him. (I'm embarrassed to say but he's in grade school.:eek: but needs to type his note because hand writing is so bad. I would buy him another cheap netbook (they seem to last about 2 years), but it sounds like the new MBP would be better for my wife, I'll probably go that direction. **Happy wife, happy me. (son gets run off happiness);)

5. Conflagrare macrumors newbie

Sounds like you made your decision..

but what happened to our good old days where we are forced to write more and more until our words are legible??

6. Psychj0e macrumors regular

I know it's completely radical, but why not spend some time with your son helping him improve his handwriting, or better yet - spend the money you'd spend on the macbook pro on handwriting tuition for him.

7. RedCroissant Suspended

handwriting

Well maybe he's preparing his son to go to medical school. Did you guys ever think about that?

Pharmacist: Is this 50g of peyote?
    Customer: Umm...yeah.
    Pharmacist: Ok then.

8. Goofy Yno thread starter macrumors member

I don't disagree. But this dictum came from the school. I'm old school: I suffered with nobody being able to read my writing, why should he? :eek: Besides, what happens in later grades. But they said he'll always be able to take notes on a computer.

BTW- I had change of heart at the store. I couldn't stomach paying the money for a new computer when we don't need one. Ended up with $500 PC, which he loves.