2009 13" not cutting it... What to do?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by EB66, Sep 16, 2012.

  1. EB66 macrumors 6502

    Mar 4, 2008
    I own a 13" 2.26GHz Unibody Macbook Pro with upgraded 5GB of RAM that is starting to wear out I'm afraid. I had to revert back to the stock 160GB drive after my 500GB died about a month ago and the "service battery" warning is now on after 790 cycles with a health of 76%.

    I'm a CS student with two years to go and I'm not sure this computer will cut it until graduation even if I sink $200 into it (new SSD and battery). It could also be argued that putting $200 into a computer that is worth ~$500 max is a bad idea.

    I guess what I'm asking is:
    -Do I sell it and spend a good chunk of change now?
    -Do I spend a little now to hold me over and buy new when I graduate and have a job?
    -If I do go the new computer route, do I buy a refurb 13" Air, refurb 15" High-Res, or go all out and get a rMBP?

    I should also be personally factoring in "Will I regret spending this money when I'm paying back student loans?"
  2. whoknows87, Sep 16, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2012

    whoknows87 macrumors 6502a


    Aug 8, 2012
    Well if you decide to sell that's $500-600 towards a new Laptop , if you were going to do some upgrades ( 250 out of your pocket) so if your'e finances permit 500+250+ maybe few hundreds can get you a new model base 1099 after discount , you can buy a refurbished from Apple there are good deals there, also try eBay there are plenty of Macs for sale ( recent ones) and some come with AppleCare you will end up saving 150-200 sometimes

    i wouldn't get a retina just because if they do release a rMBP 13 you will probably want that lol seems like you want a 13, you should consider another MBP for your studies might be more useful ( just assuming)
  3. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

    Jul 5, 2008
    Thule GL @ the TOW
    ...5Gb RAM is a strange amount, was that a typo?

    I have a whitebook 5,2 from that year also with 4Gb of the PC2 800Mhz RAM and a crucial M2 128Gb SSD installed (last year when the M2 drives were on a close out sale (that was the best bang for the buck at the time due to the 5 year warranty Crucial gave on them)) and the whitebook is still a good daily use machine with the upgrades...now you can put a 128Gb SSD (~$100) or a 256 Gb SSD (~$175) from Crucial or Intel and you'll give new life to your MBP = that's the route I'd go if I were you along with testing out the RAM to make sure you don't have a bad stick or two?...
  4. Santabean2000, Sep 17, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2012

    Santabean2000 macrumors 68000


    Nov 20, 2007
    That's the same machine I had until recently. It's still quite capable, esp with a SSD. I'd still invest in a new battery too; in fact I did.

    Mine **** itself once I upgraded to ML and I had to buy a replacement for work. Guess that's the danger in dropping cash into an older machine.

    I ended up buying my new one with finance, because I could. Walked out with a new machine after investing just $138 up front. Will pay the same each month for a while yet, but that def took the sting out of it.
  5. EB66 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Mar 4, 2008
    Not a typo, it came with 2x1GB stock and I bought a 4GB stick to throw in a couple of years ago with the intention of eventually upgrading to 8GB. A lot of people don't like to mismatch RAM but I haven't had any problems with it and I guess that's why I never bought the second stick.

    Thanks for the advice guys... I'm still weighing my options.
  6. jcschlic macrumors regular

    Jan 13, 2009
    An awesome upgrade to my 2006 C2D Blackbook was a SSD upgrade. Completely changed the computer...

Share This Page