2009 15" MBP Completely Dead?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tomcoolj, Mar 28, 2012.

1. tomcoolj macrumors member

I just thought I would ask for your advice before I completely give up with it. My nearest Apple store is 80 miles away, so that's too far to go.

I've got a 15" 2009 MacBook Pro 2.8GHz model. Tried to turn it on one morning and I got nothing. The magsafe charger doesn't light up.

I've tried a SMC reset, and a static reset. The battery seems to be completely dead too.

Any ideas? Are there some common faults with this model? I was thinking of trying my friends battery to see if I can get it started.

Any advice would be brilliant. Thanks

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Sounds like you tried all the normal steps and there's little else to try.

Good luck :(

3. jammybastard macrumors regular

jammybastard

I have a 2008 15" MBP.
    Last Summer it went dead on me. Same situation as yours.
    Took it to the local Genius Bar and was told that the logic board on that model was faulty, they knew about it as it was under recall at one point, and it would cost $300 to repair.
    I got it repaired and it's still in use.

4. njean777 macrumors 6502

I would just bite the bullet and go to the apple store. They will know more then we can really tell you.

5. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Sounds exactly like the situation I had the other day with my 2011 MBP. I took it to the genius bar and they initially quoted me:

Board, Logic, 2.3GHz - £300.00
    Board, MagSafe, with Cable - £7.00
    Hardware Repair Labour - £24.00

These were potential costs as they hadn't identified the issue yet. They called me a few hours later to say they fixed it, free of charge. It was out of warranty, so it must have been a very simple fix such as a loose connection to not charge me. I suggest you visit an Apple store, it may end up being nothing like mine.