Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Greenlight711

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 3, 2008
I purchased a 24" iMac back in 2009, and though I've been happy with its performance thus far, I've noticed that perhaps the display has gotten "dirtier" with a yellow tint over time. I'm not sure if my eyes are just playing tricks on me, but I could swear that the brightest whites just aren't what they used to be.

Is there any way with a diagnostic test that I could confirm it? And what are my current options for treating it if the display has indeed gone awry over time? Will Apple honor my purchase with some kind of consolation service or will I have to bite the bullet and foot the bill?

Greenlight711

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 3, 2008
Do you have the extended warranty? When did you purchase the iMac? If you have the extended warranty and it's still covered you should be able to get it fixed for free. If you don't, you'll have to pay out of pocket.

I purchased it in 2009, and unfortunately I don't have the extended warranty. Has Apple not addressed the display as some sort of manufacturing defect? I thought I heard somewhere of them honoring a one time replacement.

definitive

macrumors 68020
Aug 4, 2008
I took my 24" in for repairs last week, and it had a yellowish tint on one of the sides. Fortunately the screen was under warranty, so I'll be getting it replaced. The screen itself was listed at a little over $400, but will be free with AppleCare.

Mike Valmike

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2012
Chandler, Arizona
I purchased a 24" iMac back in 2009, and though I've been happy with its performance thus far, I've noticed that perhaps the display has gotten "dirtier" with a yellow tint over time. I'm not sure if my eyes are just playing tricks on me, but I could swear that the brightest whites just aren't what they used to be.

I have the same iMac as you and the same symptoms. However as I understand it this is a natural consequence of the LCD displays of the time just wearing down. Starting with the late 2009 iMac, Apple switched to LED-backlit LCDs and the whites stay brighter and cleaner for longer (though we won't really know for a while yet, on a broad basis).

One of the downsides of owning an all-in-one, I guess. Can't just swap in a brand-new monitor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.