2009 27 iMac Beachballing then Hanging

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Tucom, Dec 27, 2014.

1. Tucom macrumors 65816

Tucom

So I was attempting to go to Macrumors.com with the latest version of Safari on 10.9.5 Mavericks, and I think the URL was that of which couldn't really be loaded (was using the pre-loaded history from the URL bar, just a random Macrumors URL so it would get me to Macrumors instead of typing it all out) and Safari gave the errors of something along the lines of "Something went wrong/there was an error loading this page" - Safari attempted to load the page three times consecutively, one of the other, then gave the errors.

I quit Safari, then when I attempted to start Safari again it just kept bouncing in the dock, then beach balling happened, and the whole machine more or less locked up. Had to be cold rebooted.

This all happened on a 2009 27 iMac BTW. If specs would helpful I'll list them.

Any ideas as to why this may have happened? Has anyone experienced anything like this before?

Thanks in advance!

UPDATE - It just started doing this when I was using it normally. Started beach balling then had to be rebooted, cold. Now the fans are spinning up as well, eve after restarting it.

Mods - I made a thread like this in the 10.9 section of this forum, please delete that and leave this one. Thanks.

Any ideas what could be the cause?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That sounds like a hardware problem, possibly the hard drive. Make sure you backup your data in the event it is the hard drive. About how long has this been happening?

3. Tucom thread starter macrumors 65816

Tucom

Thank you for the reply! Yeah, I'm guessing hardware, as well. It's actually running a Crucial MX100 256GB SSD - only a few months old. This just started happening recently with the last week, and just happened, for the second time, just now.

The fans spun back down.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Have you done a clean installation of Mac OS X to verify that it is a hardware problem?

5. Tucom thread starter macrumors 65816

Tucom

It's running a clean install, nothing much has changed with it, at all. I've never had this happen before.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Do you have an external drive to test the machine from?

7. Tucom thread starter macrumors 65816

Tucom

I do not.