2009 27" iMac HDD

Discussion in 'iMac' started by fizzler, Jan 9, 2016.

1. fizzler macrumors member

I have a late 2009 27" imac that has a defective hard drive. I had intended just to remove the old HDD and sell the unit for spares or repairs, but am now toying with the idea of replacing the drive and selling my (older 2008, but working imac).

I am nervous about forking out for a 1tb HDD that will not be instantly compatible (was there a thermo cable on this model?). Can anyone advise if there are any particular models of hard drive to look at or stay away from?

many thanks

2. bizzle macrumors 6502a

Find a cheap source for Apple part number 922-9167. With that you can use any hard drive you want. We've been doing this at work for years and works completely fine. You just plug it into the logic board where the original temp sensor is and tape it to the hard drive. Works on 2009 and 2010.

3. MacRobert10 macrumors 6502

OWC sells an adapter that's a cable and thermal sensor all in one. Here's a link:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/DIDIMACHDD09/

I like bizzle's idea better because, for what the adapter/cable combo is it seems over priced to me even though it's price is reduced. Another option is to use fan control software, some of which is free. I don't know how difficult it is to track down an exact match for the Apple part.