Price Advice 2009 27" Quad Core 2.8ghz i7 iMac for $900?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by troy14, Feb 6, 2014.

1. troy14 macrumors 6502a

Hi everyone,

Looking at a used iMac for either my parents or myself.

I am currently running a 2011 mid level mac mini with 16gb ram and the 2.5ghz core i5 processor.

There is a used iMac a friend is willing to sell for $900, it's a 2009 27" iMac with the quad core i7 2.8ghz processor, 1tb hd, and 8gb ram.

Is this a good/great deal? Is it fast even from 2009? (The quad core i7 makes it sound very fast and enticing)…

I may give my parents my mini and use the iMac for myself (is this a big performance increase, decrease, or the same??).. I don't really know because my mini is from 2011 and the iMac 2 years previous (09) so even though it's quad core it could be slower?

Any insight? I could just get a new refurb mini + monitor for them….

2. jmiddel macrumors member

It's a great machine, I had it for three years, only reason sold it was that it was going out of AppleCare. It will be the same as your Mini. If you need more memory it is easily upgraded. Re price, go on EBay and check what this model is selling for.

3. Nunyabinez macrumors 68000

Nunyabinez

The answer to that question is always it depends on what you're going to use it for. But in terms of value, yeah that's a sweet deal for what you are paying. I would be all over that.

Should be quite nice for most normal computing and even some light production work, like home movies and such. You should be able to get a few more years out of that.