2009 c2d 27" upgrade advice

Discussion in 'iMac' started by dryror, Oct 27, 2012.

1. dryror macrumors newbie

Hi all.

I have the 2009 c2d 27" iMac and it is time to upgrade.

I keep going back and forth between getting the 2011 from the refurb store, or waiting for the 2012. I would be looking at the upper end, non customized model for both of them.

In canada the refurbished one is $1600, and the new 2012 model is going to be $2000 when it comes out. The biggest advantage that I can see with the 2012 model is that it is the new design (helps with resale when the time comes) and the better graphics card. I don't see there being much difference between the ram or processor. The obvious advantage to the 2011 is the cheaper cost.

I think either one is going to be a fairly substantial upgrade over my current computer, especially in the graphics department.

I mostly do school work (computer programming) and play games on it. My current computer still works fine for these things, but I figured now might be a good time to upgrade since apple care runs out at the end of December.

Just looking for opinions on the matter.

Thanks in advance.:)

2. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

If this weren't a substantial refresh, I'd tell you to lean more towards the newer and faster machine. If FireWire 800 and the built-in optical drive matter to you, also don't and just get the refurbished 27" 2011 model. Otherwise, I'd wait for the reviews of the new 27" iMac to come out, and give it maybe a month or so for whatever internal problems/bugs/glitches with the first batches to be worked out, then, if you're satisfied with what you know about it, pull the trigger. My advice is to use the time between now and then to save up for a higher-end model. If you had the Core i5/i7 2009 27" iMac model at this time, I'd see no reason for you to be upgrading this soon save for being able to sell your current computer while it still has AppleCare on it (which I can definitely appreciate as it is a common Mac buying strategy).