2009 cMP 2x2.26

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by vicentk, Sep 16, 2016.

1. vicentk macrumors regular

vicentk

Dear all

After the 10.12 just release the GM and i'm try to all the way to install the 10.12 in my cMP3.1, may be I'm not strong enough, still can't success.

Than I'm looking the second hand market in Hong Kong, I'm just found out one of 09 cMP ( should be 4.1) with 8GB ram and GT120, it just cost USD488, do you thing this cMP can upgrade to 5.1 by Mac Pro 2009-2010 Firmware Tool and replace the CPU to X5670?

Because I'm living in Hong Kong so I'm can easy to found the parts in Taobao.

1: 4GB DDR3 133 Ecc ram in Taobao around USD4 but may I know which brand is much match : Crucial, Hynix, Samsung.....

2: About the CPU upgrade can i use the SLBV X5670?

Thanks all your help.

[​IMG]

2. CapnDavey macrumors 6502

CapnDavey

Lots of good deals on ram on amazon but remember if you get registered dimms you can't mix them with the u dimms the factory installed FYI

3. vicentk thread starter macrumors regular

vicentk

thanks capndavey, but in Hong Kong order form amazon had little bit trouble.

4. owbp macrumors 6502a

owbp

For memory, you'll want DDR3 PC3-10600 ECC 1333MHZ. Just make sure that seller has good return policy.
    Brand of memory isn't an issue at all, it just has to be the right spec.
    You can also look here for official spec: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205043

For CPU upgrade, look at this great topic: http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/mac-pro-cpu-compatibility-list.1954766/
    I'm almost sure that after 3,1 stepping doesn't matter anymore, but look at the first post, and ask there if you have any uncertainties after that.

Good luck with your new machine and all the upgrades, I'm heading that way very soon! :)

5. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

I will understand his situation a bit more. TaoBao is really really cheap, however, don't expect that you can return anything (once the product shipped out of China, it can't go back in). And since the price is so cheap, usually the buyer will just get another one if anything goes wrong.

Anyway, $488 is not very cheap, but there is not much supply in Hong Kong, so it's actually a fair price at here, especially for the dual processor model (assuming good condition).

So far, all 4,1 should be able to upgrade to 5,1 (if you do it properly).

The cMP almost can run with any RAM (correct spec, of course). I did try quite a few of TaoBao RAM, all of them can boot. My suggestion is no need to go the the cheapest. Especially in TaoBao, pay extra $1, go for the seller that has lots of good comment. And ECC RAM is not that expensive as well. You should consider that over normal PC RAM. What you want is DDR3 1333MHz ECC RAM, and "2Rx4" is also a kind of important parameter if you want the RAM able to run at the max speed.

Anyway, for $4, if you are taking about something like this one. It looks good to me.

And finally, yes, AFTER the firmware upgrade, that machine can run X5670.