2009 iMac 27" SSD Drive Options?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by JasonR, Jun 15, 2011.

1. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

Ok...I've search and searched and found a lot of information. I'd like to install a 100-128 GB SSD Drive into my 27" i5 iMac while keeping the 1 TB Drive that's already in there. It looks like I'll have to replace my superdrive and put the SSD in that slot. I'm confident I can do this myself, I just need to know what SSD drive I should use, and what adapters / brackets I'll need.

I would also like to use my superdrive as an external drive. Is this enclosure good: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/VLSS9TOPTU2/

So...what hard drive should I use and what parts will I need. Thanks in advance!

2. JasonR thread starter macrumors 6502a

JasonR

I can provide any additional information about the iMac if anyone needs it to help me out...

It was my understanding on my model of iMac that I don't have room for a SSD, 1 TB Hard Drive, and the superdrive. Is that correct?

3. JasonR thread starter macrumors 6502a

JasonR

4. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Okay, is it a new (mid 2011) imac? If not, was there an ssd BTO option available when you ordered yours? You may not have to take out the optical drive to put in an SSD...research your specific model on ifixit to see if there's a cubby hole pre-made for an SSD.

5. JasonR thread starter macrumors 6502a

JasonR

No, I do not believe there was a BTO SSD option, it's a 2009 model. I bought it from MacConnection.com

6. Jouhne macrumors member

This is the bracket you'll need for the 2009's iMac.
    http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/DDMMCL0GB/

And for the SSD, either a Intel 320 or a Mercury Extreme Pro 3G