2009 iMac 27in - screen burn visible (Pics)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by riceballer, Dec 7, 2011.

1. riceballer macrumors newbie

Hey everyone, I have an i5 that I bought back in 2009 that has started developing screen issues. There seems to be a ripple on the right side of my screen internally, that is visible only on flat colored backgrounds. I use my iMac for a couple of hours a day, put it to sleep at night, and have been using my Belfan adapter to use a display for my 360 as well.

Has anyone had any similar issues? I think my warranty has run out...should I haul it to the Apple store for help? Thanks in advance.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. doktordoris macrumors 6502a

doktordoris

I don't think LCDs suffer from burn, and even if they did what would you have left on the screen for ages that looks like the weird shape on your screen?

3. swmr macrumors regular

swmr

Looks like water damage on paper...

But yea, what original image caused the burn...I was expecting to see a side by side picture I guess.

4. Sandman1969 macrumors 6502a

Sandman1969

That's not image burn. It looks like the same problem others have been having with dust getting between the LCD and screen.

I sure hope the problem is rampant. We haven't had any issues with our iMACs, well minus a failed HD. I sure hope I don't regret upgrading to the a new 27".

5. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

i would take it in....nothing much to lose at this point.

6. pajamma macrumors member

Ugg. It's so disgusting to see another i5 iMac with almost the exact same gray marks in the same corner as mine has. Apple store said it would be over $600 to replace what was clearly a defective monitor.

7. mpe macrumors regular

Mine had similar problem. They replaced the whole LCD screen (for free luckily).

8. bumzo1 macrumors 6502a

how long did it take for them to replace it, I have to take my 24" in for the same reason but I can't be without it for too long. It doesn't help that my Applecare runs out in about 2.5 weeks...

9. mpe macrumors regular

I am not from US. I arranged the repair through authorised service. I did not had apple care - just the standard one-year worldwide warranty. I bought my iMac as Apple factory refurbished in Germany.

They first said it will take one week, but they called me second day that it is done.

10. Delighted macrumors 6502

Delighted

Looks very much like water damage. Do new computers still suffer from image burn?

11. Sabik macrumors member

Looks like this could be some kind of condensation issue. Clearly it's not dust. Don't think it's burn marks either.

My God, these displays are a mess. It's so disappointing.