2009 iMac bogging down.....HELP!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by perkins, Aug 21, 2009.

1. perkins macrumors newbie

I sure hope that someone can help me.
    Notice a few weeks ago, that my iMac started slowing down. I would get the colored wheel for a second or two when opening up Safari, Word, iTunes. Not a problem. Now, it is beyond bad. The colored wheel will spin for a good 10 seconds before opening anything. Typing anything is a joke it seems to always be a good four to five words behind what I have written, and deleting something written....L..E..T..T..E..R by letter, not just hold down delete and way it goes. Loading a new page on Safari is bad, and scrolling had become a jumping around the page.
    If this is a simple fix, I can't figure out what it is, and if someone does have any advice, explain it to be like a 5 year old. Hopefully, I someone can help seeing school starts for me on the 31st, and I can't have this happening trying to type and look stuff up.
    Thanks in advance!

2. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

Either bring it into an Apple store, to have it checked, or reinstall Mac OS X.
    If that still doesn't work, just bring it into an Apple store.

3. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Have you done, verify and repair of the permissions and the disk?

4. RangerFan104 macrumors newbie

I'll assume you tried restarting your computer already, if not that's usually a way to go when you are laggy. Check your available space (Highlight Macintosh HD on desktop then click Command+i). If you notice a lot more space is missing than normal you may have downloaded a huge file without noticing.

5. perkins thread starter macrumors newbie

Reinstalling OSX seemed to work. Thanks!!
    Now, I just need to re-update everything...... :(